DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2010
Port Guard

Default Security: Encryption: Disk Encryption

Security: Encryption: Disk Encryption
With normal encryption methods, you can protect your data, but you still have to decrypt a file manually every time you want to use it. Also, many editors and viewers have a habit of creating temporary files. The decrypted data can end up in these files, and they are not safely deleted when the program exits. This means that this data can easily be accessed by everyone who manages to get at your hard disk.
Disk encryption programs encrypt your entire hard disk (sometimes they use a special partition), so that you don't have to worry about leaving the decrypted messages on your disk. The approach is similar to Stacker's disk compression program, but these packages encrypt instead.

Disclaimer: The programs listed in this document have not been tested by me, and I cannot guarantee that they will work on your system without problems. Use at your own risk!

Secure FileSystem
A standard DOS device driver-based encryption system. It can create up to five encrypted volumes which are encrypted using IDEA. Also has several other useful options, like a hotkey to quickly unmount an encrypted volume. encrypted volume. You can also download Secure FileSystem directly.
Secure Device
Secure Device is a device-driver that creates extra "drives" on a DOS/Windows computer which are encrypted using IDEA. These can then be used by any DOS/Windows program. The extra drives are simulated using a hidden file on an existing partition.
SecureDrive
For DOS and Windows systems. Also runs (with some limitations) under Windows '95. It creates an encrypted partition on your hard disk where the data is stored safely. Uses IDEA. It can also handle floppies. You can also download SecureDrive directly.
BestCrypt for Windows 95
This is a commercial disk encryption program similar to SFS and SD, but which is designed for Windows '95.
ScramDisk
Another disk encryption program for Windows '95, with much the same functionality as BestCrypt. But unlike BestCrypt, ScramDisk is free.
seNTry 2020 for Windows NT 4.0
Kernel-mode driver which uses containers as virtual volumes encrypted using MDC/SHA. Supports all NT filesystems. Commercial software, a 21-day trial version is available from the website.
Cryptdisk
A disk encryption program for the Macintosh. It creats files which can be mounted as if they were hard disks on your desktop. Uses IDEA to encrypt the files. You can download the program from a restricted FTP site from this site, or directly from Hacktic in the Netherlands.
Crypto File System
An encrypted file system for Unix. It runs as a user-mode NFS server on the local machine, and passes any requests to the remote machine over an encrypted channel.
TCFS - Transparent Cryptographic File System (for Linux)
Similar to Crypto File System above, but TCFS is file- and not directory-oriented. Each file can be encrypted separately.
Security: Encryption: Pretty Good Privacy
PGP is a file encryption program which is generally considered unbreakable. It is used extensively on the Internet, available for almost every platform and is required for anonymous remailers. It can also create digital signatures, which makes it easy to detect forgeries.

Taken from my old saved page,which actually taken from : http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut01/sfs.html

This page can also be view as copy on my server: http://www.eurovive.com/diskcrypt.htm

Regards and Say thanks if its helpfull!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Wow, those links on your page are old. Windows 95, NT4, and OS/2 are mentioned Last update: year 2000 ...
Also, most tools are for Windows, not for BSD.

FreeBSD and OpenBSD are both shipped with support for disk encryption. Not sure about NetBSD and DragonflyBSD though ...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Wow, those links on your page are old. Windows 95, NT4, and OS/2 are mentioned Last update: year 2000 ...
Also, most tools are for Windows, not for BSD.

Not sure about NetBSD and DragonflyBSD though ...
NetBSD is shipped by default with cgd driver

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-cgd.html

Swap is encrypted by default on NetBSD installation much like on OpenBSD.
I am not sure if there is something like softraid driver (which also can be used for encryption on OpenBSD and is "better" than vnd driver ) for NetBSD but I would not be surprised.

Obviously all userland cryptographic software compiles well on NetBSD. My favorite is Colin Percival's scrypt

Last edited by Oko; 3rd March 2010 at 12:01 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
Port Guard

Well BSD based live cd's are not running on my pc,beside one.
But when i run it - i only see dos like area and no gui.
BSD are more complicated, and somehow they are more secure.
My friend who owns isp runs company servers on BSD.
But it will be nice if you will add some usefull links to thios topic.
Regards
Nick
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovive View Post
Interesting. What happens when you type startx?

Quote:
BSD are more complicated, and somehow they are more secure.
Quite on the contrary. *BSDs are the simplest operating systems around. For
comparasion purposes the size of the kernel of OpenBSD which I use is about
50 times smaller than Linux. Security is a process it is not a state. A typical BSD user is more secure not because BSDs are inheritently more secure but because he/she is actually computer literal person.

Quote:
My friend who owns isp runs company servers on BSD.
But it will be nice if you will add some usefull links to thios topic.
Regards
Nick
http://lmgtfy.com/
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
Banned

Quote:
Did you configure the BIOS disk boot order? you need to make sure they're even attempting to boot the CD/floppy/usb.

Quote:
I'm resisting the urge to comment, you appear to be lacking basic Unix comprehension.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
More noise than signal

My live media asks if you wish a graphical environment or a console. Basic Unix skills are not required.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
My live media asks if you wish a graphical environment or a console. Basic Unix skills are not required.
Although hopefully encouraged.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
More noise than signal

IIRC, I offer the GUI user the option of running Xorg without a configuration file, with a 1024x768 VESA xorg.conf, or, rolling their own. The third option would -require- some X11 config skills.
Old 4th March 2010
Port Guard

[QUOTE=BSDfan666;30514]Did you configure the BIOS disk boot order? you need to make sure they're even attempting to boot the CD/floppy/usb.
[QUOTE]

Hey man don't think i am noob.I am using Unetbootin to make livecds on usb drive/flash drive.
BSD's are showing kernel errors and freezes with CAP button blinking.
And after it freezes i need only disconnect my notebook from power to shutdown it.
Nick
Old 4th March 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
...I am using Unetbootin to make livecds on usb drive/flash drive.
BSD's are showing kernel errors and freezes with CAP button blinking.
As we discussed, some weeks ago, you would be better off installing a BSD rather than creating your own non-functioning Frankensystems. OpenBSD, as I'd mentioned, can be installed directly onto USB without any special effort, special software, or skill.
Quote:
And after it freezes i need only disconnect my notebook from power to shutdown it.
On most Intel-based platforms, you need only hold the power button down for ten seconds or so to have the BIOS automatically power off the system, regardless of state.
Old 5th March 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:

Hey man don't think i am noob.I am using Unetbootin to make livecds on usb .
sureeeee...
Old 5th March 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Quite on the contrary. *BSDs are the simplest operating systems around.
It depends from which angle you look at it

Aside from the obvious of the 'point and click'-OS'es (XP, OS-X, etc), I find myself having far less problems installing X and actually understanding that than I have mounting disks

Beyond these install matters it goes without saying that you are right, I think the difficult part - as always - is to get acquainted to the basic 'thoughts' of FBSD's way of doing things. Which can be hard if you had your brain removed surgically, as I had
Old 5th March 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
I can relate to that, most of the (FBSD) live disks I had wouldn't boot, that is why I decided to go the real thing and install it myself from scratch. It seems the problem is more in the live disks and their customer friendly scripts that just don't work for everybody than in FBSD itself.

Quote:
That is because FBSD is about choice (copyright a zillion people ). You can install a gui, you don't have to.

Do:
- pkg_add -r kde3 or kde4 (look it up, I might be mistaking about the 3 and 4).
- configure xorg.conf for your hardware.
- startx
- if works add it to xinit.rc for automatic startup.
Old 6th March 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
As we discussed, some weeks ago, you would be better off installing a BSD rather than creating your own non-functioning Frankensystems. OpenBSD, as I'd mentioned, can be installed directly onto USB without any special effort, special software, or skill.

On most Intel-based platforms, you need only hold the power button down for ten seconds or so to have the BIOS automatically power off the system, regardless of state.
I don't know how i can install it on USB, if your OS needs special formatting - i mean special file system for it - than it will be a problem to install it to flash drive.
And BSD is not supported by driver and hardware manufacturers - so mostly its server operating system.
Nick
Old 6th March 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
sureeeee...
Man be honest - i said it other way,than you quote it with.
And i can handle BIOS things.So don't call me noob.
Nick
Old 6th March 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
I don't know how i can install it on USB, if your OS needs special formatting...
It is a three step process, on OpenBSD.
  1. Connect your USB device to the system.
  2. Boot the ramdisk kernel (four ways, described below).
  3. Conduct a standard installation
Installation media options: diskette, optical, network, tape. Tape and network boot require manual setup, described in the INSTALL.<arch> documentation included with each release.

If you don't have diskette drives, optical drives, or tape, nor the appropriate facilities for network boot, then there is still an easy solution: Conduct the installation to USB storage from within a virtual machine, booting a diskette or optical image.
Quote:
And BSD is not supported by driver and hardware manufacturers - so mostly its server operating system.
That is such a broadly ignorant statement on so many levels, I'll only try to provide the most basic set of corrections. The history of the BSDs is rich and long, and there is a wealth of material you have missed. You need to do some general research, before you post statements like that, because it indicates you have no clue that:
  • There is no single "BSD" -- there are a number of FOSS projects, and commercial ones, based on the Univeristy of California at Berkeley's final release of BSD 4.4Lite after their settlement with AT&T.
  • There are a multitude of hardware and softare vendors that sell products that have one of the BSDs embedded within them, or components of the BSDs within them, or their own products based on BSD. This includes companies you might have heard of, such as IBM, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, and Apple.
  • Many peripheral hardware equipment vendors, who produce drivers, are actively supporting efforts to use their hardware with one or more of the BSDs. Even the OpenBSD Project, which will never accept any closed source driver into the OS under any circumstance, has hardware vendors actively supporting the project with documentation and best effort consulting services, so that Project developers can produce functioning drivers for these companies' hardware products.
  • Each of the major FOSS BSD Projects provides lists of companies engaged in commercial support and consulting services.
  • For a purchaser of computer systems, a system vendor's "support" for an OS is either important or not, but it makes no difference if that platform will be used as a workstation or a server.
You need to do some homework before you jump to your next set of conclusions.

Last edited by jggimi; 6th March 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 6th March 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Quote:
Nick
That is such a broadly ignorant statement on so many levels
+1