DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default mutt & fdm [SOLVED]

can some one write a simple *how to* for mutt and fdm?

Last edited by qmemo; 17th May 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
BSDfan666 BSDfan666 is offline
Real Name: N/A, this is the interweb.
Helpful companion
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 193 Times in 184 Posts
Default

This is what I use, configuring fdm to retrieve mail from pop3/imap is easy.. the manual is very simple to understand.

Configuring mutt is out of scope for any tutorial.
Reply With Quote
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 774
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
can some one write a simple *how to* for mutt and fdm?
You do not need fdm with Mutt any more (actually for quite a few years already)! Namely, Mutt has built in IMAP and POP3 clients!

The only really good e-mail client that I can think of which would require fdm is nmh.

Cheers,
Oko
Reply With Quote
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

@BSDfan666

I have no doupt about fdm, before I posted I searched and found this

I thought there is more todo.

@Oko

so you're saying all I do not need fdm any more ?
Reply With Quote
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
graudeejs's Avatar
graudeejs graudeejs is offline
Real Name: Aldis Berjoza
formerly killasmurf86
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 588
Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Default

If you want, you can start by customizing my mutt config:
http://hg.bsdroot.lv/aldis/dot.mutt/

Here's howto setup postfix relay:
https://wiki.bsdroot.lv/postfix:relay

Not sure how good it works, because, as always, I wrote it from my memory, after I configured my desktop pc to relay mail via my mailserver.

Probably next time, I lose my postfix config, I will fix bugs if any....
Or you can give me feedback (no much hopes, I will jump in and fix and help with everything, since I'm pretty dam busy right now, but it never hurts)

You can report wiki bugs @ https://bugs.bsdroot.lv/
Reply With Quote
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

@killasmurf86

Thanks man, yet another config to look at.

if it's true about mutt being a stop for all, then I 'll be starting right away
Reply With Quote
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I digged it a bit

my four mails are two IMAPS, two POP's

how ever I can make them all IMAP if it's going to make my life more easy.

still the main question remains and this go's to *Oko*

I do not really need _fdm_ with mutt any more? please explain more.
Reply With Quote
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 774
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
my four mails are two IMAPS, two POP's

how ever I can make them all IMAP if it's going to make my life more easy.
That question is silly. The guy who set up your mail server decided that he will use POP protocol for some unknown reason. You can NOT do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
still the main question remains and this go's to *Oko*

I do not really need _fdm_ with mutt any more? please explain more.
You do NOT need fdm. Mutt can fetch mail since version 1.4. Read the documentation

http://mutt.sourceforge.net/imap/
Reply With Quote
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
That question is silly. The guy who set up your mail server decided that he will use POP protocol for some unknown reason. You can NOT do anything about it.
that person is me, using gmail with POP enabled, thankfully I can change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
You do NOT need fdm. Mutt can fetch mail since version 1.4. Read the documentation

http://mutt.sourceforge.net/imap/
good news.

thanks man
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
TerryP's Avatar
TerryP TerryP is offline
Arp Constable
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,547
Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
Default

There is a very good tutorial on multi-accounts in mutt but I lost the link months ago. Pretty much, it's a source it war.
__________________
My Journal

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

@TerryP

you mean this one?

http://www.bsdnexus.com/blog/article...mutt-mailboxes
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 774
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
that person is me, using gmail with POP enabled, thankfully I can change that.
That is silly. Gmail unlike Hotmail supports IMAP. I use Gmail with IMAP as my main e-mail account. Gmail also forwards e-mails from other domains so you can set your OpenSMTPd to use Gmail account as forwarding server. Read the documentation!

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=77695

The only annoyance with Gmail is that when you delete messages they do not get expunged because they are still kept in the stupid Allmail folder. That is the only violation to honest IMAP protocol by Gmail that I am aware of. The work around is very simple. I use Heirloom mailx and use command mv (move) to move messages to trash (which is alias for Gmail/Trash)

Code:
shortcut trash +[Gmail]/Trash
The messages get deleted automatically after 90 days. Here is full .nailrc for Gmail and Hotmail accounts.

Code:
account gmail {
        set folder=imaps://my_user_name@imap.gmail.com
        set imap-use-starttls
        set password-my_user_name@imap.gmail.com="password"
        set record=+Sent MBOX=+mbox outfolder
        set smtp="smtp.gmail.com:587"
        set from="My Name <my_user_name@gmail.com>"
        set smtp-use-starttls
        set smtp-auth="login"
        set smtp-auth-user=my_user_name
        set smtp-auth-password="password"
# IMAP SHORTCUTS SECTION for standard Gmail folders
        shortcut allmail +[Gmail]/All\ Mail
        shortcut spam +[Gmail]/Spam
        shortcut trash +[Gmail]/Trash
        }



account hotmail {
        set MAIL=pop3s://my_user_name@hotmail.com@pop3.live.com
        set pop3-use-starttls
        set password-my_user_name@hotmail.com@pop3.live.com="password"
        set smtp="smtp.live.com:25"
        set from="My Name <my_user_name@hotmail.com>"
        set smtp-use-starttls
        set smtp-auth="login"
        set smtp-auth-user=my_user_name@hotmail.com
        set smtp-auth-password="password"
# POP3 ACCT SHORTCUTS SECTION nail -f <account> 
        shortcut hotmail pop3s://my_user_name@hotmail.com@pop3.live.com  
        }



# Binary options
set askattach
set askcc
set autocollapse
set autothread
set emptystart

# String Options
set imap-keepalive=240
set imap-list-depth=5
set pop3-keepalive=30

# Reading HTML mail
set pipe-text/html="lynx -dump -force_html /dev/stdin"

# Address Book
alias  my_friend    my_friend@gmail.com
Gmail also have an excellent spam filter. Now privacy, that is whole another story. Your default thinking should be that Google is reading and selling your e-mail messages.

Last edited by Oko; 12th May 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
BSDfan666 BSDfan666 is offline
Real Name: N/A, this is the interweb.
Helpful companion
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 193 Times in 184 Posts
Default

There are some advantages to using fdm Oko, it was written by the same guy who wrote tmux.. it has advanced filtering capabilities and a syntax that could be loosely compared to OpenBSD's pf.

According to documentation, mutt's imap/pop3 capabilities lack the ability to retrieve and store copies of the mail locally.

Also, the stigma attached to pop3 is quite annoying.. the protocol has a fairly decent design and imap isn't the best solution for everyone.
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 774
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
There are some advantages to using fdm Oko, it was written by the same guy who wrote tmux.. it has advanced filtering capabilities and a syntax that could be loosely compared to OpenBSD's pf.
Thanks for the post. I am fully aware how good is fdm as I was contemplating to switch to nmh+fdm. I had fully working configuration. On another hand I have never had any interest in Mutt nor desire to learn anything about it. I have friends who used for a long time so I know that support for IMAP/POP came as a big surprise as Mutt developers for a long time resisted that idea as being anti-Unix
(Mutt is a MUA and should do nothing less, nothing more). I kind a liked that approach even that I am in violation by using Heirlom Mailx.

Last edited by Oko; 12th May 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
That is silly. Gmail unlike Hotmail supports IMAP. I use Gmail with IMAP as my main e-mail account. Gmail also forwards e-mails from other domains so you can set your OpenSMTPd to use Gmail account as forwarding server. Read the documentation!

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=77695

The only annoyance with Gmail is that when you delete messages they do not get expunged because they are still kept in the stupid Allmail folder. That is the only violation to honest IMAP protocol by Gmail that I am aware of. The work around is very simple. I use Hairloom mailx and use command mv (move) to move messages to trash (which is alias for Gmail/Trash)
The only reason I enapled POP on Gmail is to retrive all the email on a one GO & review later.

Code:
shortcut trash +[Gmail]/Trash
The messages get deleted automatically after 90 days. Here is full .nailrc for Gmail and Hotmail accounts.

I lost focus, what is Hairloom mailx and which app is .nailrc for?

Quote:
[code]
account gmail {
set folder=imaps://my_user_name@imap.gmail.com
set imap-use-starttls
set password-my_user_name@imap.gmail.com="password"
set record=+Sent MBOX=+mbox outfolder
set smtp="smtp.gmail.com:587"
set from="My Name <my_user_name@gmail.com>"
set smtp-use-starttls
set smtp-auth="login"
set smtp-auth-user=my_user_name
set smtp-auth-password="password"
# IMAP SHORTCUTS SECTION for standard Gmail folders
shortcut allmail +[Gmail]/All\ Mail
shortcut spam +[Gmail]/Spam
shortcut trash +[Gmail]/Trash
}



account hotmail {
set MAIL=pop3s://my_user_name@hotmail.com@pop3.live.com
set pop3-use-starttls
set password-my_user_name@hotmail.com@pop3.live.com="password"
set smtp="smtp.live.com:25"
set from="My Name <my_user_name@hotmail.com>"
set smtp-use-starttls
set smtp-auth="login"
set smtp-auth-user=my_user_name@hotmail.com
set smtp-auth-password="password"
# POP3 ACCT SHORTCUTS SECTION nail -f <account>
shortcut hotmail pop3s://my_user_name@hotmail.com@pop3.live.com
}



# Binary options
set askattach
set askcc
set autocollapse
set autothread
set emptystart

# String Options
set imap-keepalive=240
set imap-list-depth=5
set pop3-keepalive=30

# Reading HTML mail
set pipe-text/html="lynx -dump -force_html /dev/stdin"

# Address Book
alias my_friend my_friend@gmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
There are some advantages to using fdm Oko, it was written by the same guy who wrote tmux.. it has advanced filtering capabilities and a syntax that could be loosely compared to OpenBSD's pf.
you should not have told me that Nicm owns *fdm* too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Thanks for the post. I am fully aware how good is fdm as I was contemplating to switch to nmh+fdm. I had fully working configuration. On another hand I have never had any interest in Mutt nor desire to learn anything about it. I have friends who used for a long time so I know that support for IMAP/POP came as a big surprise as Mutt developers for a long time resisted that idea as being anti-Unix
(Mutt is a MUA and should do nothing less, nothing more). I kind a liked that approach even that I am in violation by using Hairlom Mailx.
umm, nhm+fdm? Hairlom Mailx?

nice, I forgot why I posted in the first place!

so which it gonna be? I switched to IMAP for my gmail accounts, now it's all IMAP
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
IdOp's Avatar
IdOp IdOp is offline
Too dumb for a smartphone
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: twisting on the daemon's fork(2)
Posts: 564
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

heirloom mailx

I guess a "Hairloom" is either a little typo, or else it's a machine used to make a "hair shirt" ?
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
qmemo's Avatar
qmemo qmemo is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Egypt
Posts: 133
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

@IdOp

Thanks man so mailx==nail==mutt?

so which do I need?

I was expecting this thread to be about mutt alone
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
IdOp's Avatar
IdOp IdOp is offline
Too dumb for a smartphone
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: twisting on the daemon's fork(2)
Posts: 564
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
so mailx==nail==mutt?
Not really. mailx and nail have a close relationship, you'll have to read the History link at the heirloom mailx site to get an idea of how they're entangled. mutt is a completely different beast.

Quote:
so which do I need?
I don't really know, your mail setup is quite different from mine, and I don't use mutt (though been thinking about it but that's way off-topic).
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 774
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
heirloom mailx

I guess a "Hairloom" is either a little typo, or else it's a machine used to make a "hair shirt" ?
I think it was the first one
Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 774
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
@IdOp

Thanks man so mailx==nail==mutt?

so which do I need?

I was expecting this thread to be about mutt alone
No of course not. I am apologize for hijacking your thread. I am a Heilrloom mailx (aka. Nail) user so I used it to illustrate some of my answers. I see that now that I just caused confusion. Mutt is of course very different MUA and since I already admitted that I am clueless about it, this will be my last post in this thread.

Sorry,
Oko
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fdm, mutt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mutt and SASL divadgnol67 OpenBSD Packages and Ports 3 11th March 2011 04:48 PM
Yahoo marking spam only from mutt asemisldkfj General software and network 3 15th June 2010 10:37 PM
Maildir with Postfix/Dovecot/procmail/mutt bsdperson FreeBSD Ports and Packages 3 8th July 2009 07:05 PM
help with mutt cssgalactic FreeBSD General 3 2nd August 2008 07:25 AM
Mutt not sending email cssgalactic FreeBSD General 4 3rd July 2008 09:54 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright © 2007-2010, the authors
Daemon image copyright ©1988, Marshall Kirk McKusick