DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2010
Banned

Default has anyone successfully gotten an HP or Canon scanner to work w/OpenBSD?

Please look at the attached images. It describes in a few pics what words would take forever to. It has all my data I would enter it here as it would appear on my desktop.

I'm using OpenBSD 4.7.

I suspect that I've got to link the scanner to a dev/scan0 or something like that.

your help is always appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot1.jpg (182.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg screenshot2.jpg (68.8 KB, 156 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2010
Banned

If you read the output in the first image, you can see that it's picking up the biometrics device accidentally.

There was a thread here the other day about this, as instructed in the OpenBSD.README distributed with xane you should disable the uscanner(4) driver and let it use it's own libusb drivers.

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=5082

You should also make sure permissions on the relevant device nodes allows for read/write access.

Totally unrelated, but that prompt setting is horrible.. not as horrible as yellow on black, but still bad.

Good luck.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
Please look at the attached images. It describes in a few pics what words would take forever to. It has all my data I would enter it here as it would appear on my desktop.

I'm using OpenBSD 4.7.

I suspect that I've got to link the scanner to a dev/scan0 or something like that.

Running Xfce I've been able to get my Wireless HP Photosmart C4500 both scanning and printing using hplip-gui to recognise and add the device and xsane with sane-backends for the scanning.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post

I'm using OpenBSD 4.7.

I am a heavy scanner user and I have used probably dozen of different scanner on OpenBSD including some HP scanners.
OpenBSD is not Linux.
Code:
 /dev/scan0
doesn't exist in OpenBSD. The error you are showing can do for as simple reason as not adjusting device permissions on
Code:
/dev/uscanner
/dev/usb*
/dev/ugen*
. Sane-backends have to have at least read permission on all the devices.

Code:
chmod 0664 /dev/ugen*
chmod 0664 /dev/usb*
If your scanner is supported by sane-backends most likely reason for not being
found when you start XSane is that
Code:
/dev/uscanner
legacy driver is
attached to scanner as oppose to ugen driver. This is in particular true for
all HP scanners. Canon scanners are long shoot in my experience unless they support scanning to umass storage in which case you do not really need computer to scan. You must disable uscanner driver in the kernel using
config utility. Please, read the documentation. It would help if you post models of the scanners you are trying to use under OpenBSD. If they work on
Linux they do work on OpenBSD unless you were using something like Ubuntu in which case it is very possible that you were using some proprietary drivers which
are Linux specific.