DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2010
New User

Default tmpfs on OpenBSD

Facts:
I'm using MFS (memory file system), because I believe I've enough RAM (3 GB) and want to protect my SSD from unnecessary temp files.
Basically that works great. But MFS ist sadly grow only.

The better (and faster: mail-index.netbsd(dot)org/current-users/2005/10/04/0002.html) alternative in my eyes ist tmpfs.

So I've interested read the release notes of DragonflyBSD, who shows that tmpfs are ported from NetBSD to that FreeBSD (4.8) based operating system: www(dot)dragonflybsd(dot)org/release26/

Wikipedia means, that in October 1995, OpenBSD forked as a new project from NetBSD (1.0).

---

Questions:
Is anybody out there, who run tmpfs under OpenBSD? And if not, are there plans to port tmpfs to that platform, like DragonflyBSD did it before? The distant relationship from OpenBSD to NetBSD should make that not too difficult, or am I on the wrong tack?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpusr View Post
...are there plans to port tmpfs to that platform, like DragonflyBSD did it before?
While this is a legitimate question, you are likely not to get an answer for two reasons:
  • Those of us who answer questions regularly here are not project developers, so we have little more information than what can be found reading the project mailing lists on a regular basis.

On a slight tangent, little appears in the misc@ archives on this subject:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=tmpfs&q=b
  • You might pose this question on the misc@ mailing list, but be sure it does not appear that you are asking or demanding the developers add such a feature. At worse, feature requests are ignored; at the very worse, you will possibly receive a stream of very unpleasant responses.
In general, the OpenBSD developers are most open to people submitting diffs of work which either corrects or extends current functionality. The specific target demographic of the project is the project developers themselves. The rest of us are lucky they make their work freely available to the public.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd March 2014
New User

Default tmpfs is enabled in OpenBSD 5.5

Time is a healer... tmpfs will be available in OpenBSD 5.5:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...20131217081921
http://www.openbsd.org/55.html
YEAH!

Last edited by ocicat; 23rd March 2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Activated links. Please use [url] & [/url] when posting URL's.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2016
New User

Default tmpfs will be disabled in OpenBSD 6.0

OK, time could also be a b*tch...
"As a result of apparent lack of maintenance, Theo de Raadt has disabled tmpfs".
source: http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...20160812011743
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2016
More noise than signal

Yes, and misc@ readers will have seen a long and sometimes heated discussion that followed the commit.

mount_mfs(8) is still available.