DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
New User

Default NetBSD site man pages availability

Hello!

I am installing NetBSD 5.0.2 on my laptop machine, closely following NetBSD Guide and man pages; furthermore, I sometimes need to print the man pages from a browser inside other OS, since I don't have the printer configured in NetBSD, yet.

The problem is that I get an empty search result for "xorg" in NetBSD "man page" / "apropos" inside NetBSD site.

The same happens when trying to search for "xorg" from within FreeBSD "man page" / "apropos" search, using NetBSD in the searching criteria.

But when I try the same keyword search for "xorg" using "FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE and Ports" in the searching criteria, I get the appropriate search results, linking to "xorg" "man page", among others ("xorg.conf",...)
Is it possible to access NetBSD "xorg" man pages, browsing the NetBSD site? If not, is there a turn around?

With best regards.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Arp Constable

In my opinion, the NetBSD community is slowly decaying and has not kept up with the documentation.

xorg actually has two options: monolithic vs modular. Instructions for modular xorg were on an independently maintain wiki which ceased to exist in June of this year. You can still find archived copies on the internet. If you build a desktop environment/window manager it is helpful to use the same xorg version that was used to build the desktop environment/window manager

http://web.archive.org/web/200803030...d.se/Main_Page

The other issue you will likely encounter is wireless encryption. Unless you need a unique feature of NetBSD I would strongly consider OpenBSD or FreeBSD for your laptop.

Last edited by shep; 22nd September 2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: xorg libary dependency
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Shell Scout

Heh,

you are right It doesn't work.

@shep

Just curiousity- what is wrong with NetBSD wifi encryption? I used to have it working nicely?

And depending on the laptop (processor) I wouldn't go for OpenBSD b/c of lack of SMP working properely.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Arp Constable

If I recall correctly, this worked for my wpa connection
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-...msg006061.html
After getting wireless and modular xorg running I had problems with the 5.0.2 Q2 i386 packages for xfce4 at which point I threw in the towel.

Last edited by shep; 22nd September 2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: learned to spell
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjoter View Post
And depending on the laptop (processor) I wouldn't go for OpenBSD b/c of lack of SMP working properely.
What do you mean by OpenBSD b/c lack of SMP working properly? It works properly here for the past three and a half years

As of NetBSD I think that the project is not out of woods yet but it looks definitely much better than a year of two years ago when many of us were already preparing for funeral. The death of NetBSD would have very negative if not devastating effect to both OpenBSD and FreeBSD communities as well as DragonFly. I personally love NetBSD and if I was not using OpenBSD it would be definitely my default OS. Now if it did have a bit better support for High Performance Computing and some, just some commercial support in term of proprietary hardware (Tesla GPU) and proprietary software (Portland Compiler) it would be very complementary OS to OpenBSD.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2010
New User

Hello!

It's great to hear you all.

The reasons to use NetBSD are the following:

a) Learn Unix :-p NetBSD design goals - to provide a first quality source code and a structured and modular design, values that I learned in faculty and that proved to be of great worth in real world production systems- make it to me the system of choice.

b) It's drivers at version 5.0.2 support a AnyData cellular USB modem from the start, something I didn't get in FreeBSD version 8.0. Additionally, it maintains "pppd" - Point to Point Protoco daemon. The script used to control the modem is based on it; "pppd" has been removed from FreeBSD since version 8.0.

c) Documentation is clear and simple, with enough detail. I don't feel easy with OpenBSD style of documentation - margin, header and footer comments and graphics, which I found to be distracting.

For the sake of method, I am going to keep with NetBSD for now, as long as it doesn't pose a problem for me that I can't solve.

The in the next post I 'll give the specifications of the laptop machine I'm using.

Best regards for all.
See you soon.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2010
New User

Hello!

As I am trying to build a bootable cdrom able to run dar - Disk ARchiver, I found that is no man page for mklivecd at NebBSD site - not even at FreeBSD site.

Is there a reason for this?

With best regards.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2010
Shell Scout

Maybe b/c the man pages on NetBSD site refer to the system manuals not pkgsrc. If you installed the mklivecd you should be able to get manual (if provided by program).