DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd January 2011
Spam Deminer

Default I want move big files from FreeBSD box to Linux Box

At work I use FreeBSD and in home I have Arch Linux , at work I have many big files , many of them is is ISO files and many of them is over 4GB , I want move files with USB flash driver ,
for first try , i format my USB flash drive to NTFS format and I test it , and I see speed of copy is so low and take long time and sometimes I see error about I/O error and I can not copy it .
so for second try , I want test another file system like ext3 and ext4 and ,,,

can someone give me good suggestion for this ?
I want format my USB flash with another file system , this file system must be mount very easy in FreeBSD and linux .and I can mount USB flash in both system , and this file system must has good speed ,
can someone help me ?

Last edited by mfaridi; 3rd January 2011 at 05:26 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd January 2011
Tcpdump Spy

There is no easy answer. FAT32 will work fine on both OS's, but it doesn't support files over 4GB. you can use split to split large files in smaller chunks.

Another solution might be to transfer the files over network. Depending on your internet speed this may take a long time.

You can also install a small LiveFS ($any OS will do) and run that as a NFS or Samba service, then you can access the files om the flash drive from pretty much any OS.

Another (Perhaps the easiest?) solution is to take either the machine at work home, or the machine at home to work, and use NFS or Samba to copy the files.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd January 2011
Fdisk Soldier

In order to keep my NetBSD box compatible with other Linux distributions I format my flash drives with the EXT2 filesystem and use revision 0 (aka GOOD_OLD_REV) as the filesystem format.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
There is no easy answer. FAT32 will work fine on both OS's, but it doesn't support files over 4GB. you can use split to split large files in smaller chunks.

Another solution might be to transfer the files over network. Depending on your internet speed this may take a long time.

You can also install a small LiveFS ($any OS will do) and run that as a NFS or Samba service, then you can access the files om the flash drive from pretty much any OS.

Another (Perhaps the easiest?) solution is to take either the machine at work home, or the machine at home to work, and use NFS or Samba to copy the files.
Thanks
My problem is I do not have internet connection in home and I can not use network to move files , I can not split option because I think it may break ISO files , all of my files is ISO file from OS and split make change on md5 and ,,,
I want test etx2 , I want format mu USB flash to ext2 and check it . can I do this ?
is this way is easy and have good speed ?
can I find another way to solve this problem ?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Banned

File splitting simply separates files into chunks that can be rejoined at a later time, the rejoined file will have the same MD5 hash.

If the only two platforms you're using are FreeBSD and Linux, why would you pick NTFS or FAT for such a thing? it's quite inappropriate.

FreeBSD has support for ext2, and ext2 is supported by Linux natively.

There are tools for creating ext2 filesystems on *BSD, but you should probably do this on Linux... once created it can be mounted normally.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Banned

Copy the directions from:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=20662
on to a piece of paper.

Format the disk at home.

Bring it back.

Use the directions noted above for mounting.

Follow what the others have told you about copying and file splitting.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Package Pilot

Linux filesize limit not bad. Format your USB with something Linux.

http://linuxreviews.org/sysadmin/filesystems/

http://crazedmuleproductions.blogspo...-4gb-file.html

Split files is potable but since you don't seem to want to split files for whatever reason maybe use the gzip command to compress the files, just like zipping files on Windows. 8GB file iso can be 3.5GB depending ... You just have to sample it. NTFS is cool at lease you can see your work when using Windows. Everyone has a Windows machine at lease hidden in the closet. I keep a few fat32 partitions on my PcBSD and FreeBSD drives. If something happens all I need is a floppy. More options to see your work under others or all OS is what the NTFS thing is all about.

gzip -c this_iso > /to_usb/this_iso.Z

Code:
gzip		the.iso				# compress the file	
gunzip	the.iso.gz			# de-compress the file
Code:
tar -zxvf FILENAME.tar.gz or bz2		#  compress a file
tar -xjf FileName.tar.bz2	#  Decompressing in GNU tar:
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Package Pilot

You been a Linux, FreeBSD'se for a long time. You did say at work. That mean quad-triple the experience.. Come to think of it, not many businesses implement Linux inside FreeBSD. For one it's a security risk and two, FreeBSD don't like or recommend Linux filessystem. If you don't want to format UFS, all else could be a waste of time for what you are trying to do, and why would you not have a FreeBSD install at home. No experience FreeBSD person would never give the whole machine to Linux or Windows. What's up with that?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Spam Deminer

thanks, all guys about this topic , I format my USB flash with Linux and make ext2 file system on it , after that I mount it in FreeBSD and my USB flash mount very easy , without error and I start copy big files to USB flash and I copy 4.2GB files to USB flash , everything is good , but speed is low and take long time for copy big files , but speed of copy in ext2 is better than NTFS , and I do not see error about I/O error with ext2 , and large or big file can copy very good .
I want test ext3 , and I wish I see better speed with ext3 and FreeBSD does not has problem with ext3
Old 4th January 2011
More noise than signal

A higher number does not mean better. Please take the time to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
Quote:
Its main advantage over ext2 is journaling which improves reliability and eliminates the need to check the file system after an unclean shutdown.
Old 4th January 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Another solution might be to buy two cheap PCI cards with USB 3.0/2.0 controllers or eSATA controllers and use a fast external device (Passport HDD?) as a shared partition.

Be careful with USB flash drives as they have a limited number of write cycles. I already destroyed two.
Package Pilot

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8079

http://www.sun.com/software/whitepap...erformance.pdf

Last edited by sharris; 4th January 2011 at 11:57 PM.