DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Default IE - I REALLY need to vent :(

I hate IE only websites, they disgust me beyond description!

1) Why would websites purposefully consign themselves to 10 year old, insecure active X technology?
2) Even with the latest and greatest IE updates and upgrades, and no addons, the friggen popup blocker does not work! Especially if you want a pop-up to show, it blocks it even when turned off and all website exceptions added.
3) The above is a well documented issue (bug) that ie does not acknowledge and its absolutely funny if not downright repulsive to watch cut and past responses for support.(basically turn off your popup blocker) - hellow if you read the post, we did.

Case and point bullhorn staffing. Not only does their reliance on Active X hamstring them in the mobile market, their website is basically unusable by their OWN love-boy IE BROWSER!!!

Do you get paid by micro$oft for putting this crap up on the net? if so please let me know how cause i can really use the money.

PS if you are a ie fanboy, sorry to offend but try using the popup blocker when you REALLY NEED TO SEE A POPUP spawned by activex!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2011
Daemonology student

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmorg View Post
1) Why would websites purposefully consign themselves to 10 year old, insecure active X technology?
The software they run may only work properly (or even run) on older versions of IE and ActiveX controls, and upgrading the entire infrastructure costs them money (a lot, in some cases).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
The software they run may only work properly (or even run) on older versions of IE and ActiveX controls, and upgrading the entire infrastructure costs them money (a lot, in some cases).
Yea it all started after upgrading company laptops to 7. bleh.
and to make matters worse, other people in my life have to take training courses on IE only active x websites! RawR!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2011
Tcpdump Spy

We are in a more or less similar situation. Back in 2001/2002 a couple of interns wrote a lot of software for the company. Without going into details, it is obvious that this software was written by *very* inexperienced people who didn't have a good idea how to do things on just about any level.

Anyway, part of this all is an ActiveX something that allos you to print on IE.
It's a pain to work with ... I'm told it was "needed" for IE6. But with IE8 everything prints fine even without this plugin.

Problem is the code is so ... obfuscated (Code w/o indentation, no documentation/comments at any level, variables called $stuff, very, VERY weird and clumsy constructs) ... That even changing simple things takes a lot of time, so I just leave it in since it "more or less works" and has more or less worked for almost 10 years ... Changing it would require a lot of time better spent on other things at the moment.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd January 2011
VPN Cryptographer

One of the national tech magazine writers on Twitter, today, was looking for anyone that still used ActiveX for an article he's writing. Something along the lines of "Why do you do that?".

IE has fallen into second place in total usage in Europe and has been losing market share, to almost half, in the rest of the world, and it's still dropping. As a web developer for six years, nothing could make me happier to see that POS die.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd January 2011
ISO Quartermaster

IE = Internet Exploder

Last edited by graudeejs; 22nd January 2011 at 04:17 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd January 2011
Daemonology student

Nah, it's an explorer alright. When you're discovering new worlds, you first navigate, then you explore and then you conquer. And when you're done messing around, you have an epiphany on the meaning of it all, you settle down and build a colony with an opera house in the middle and you go hunting some foxes on weekends. That's how it happens.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2011
Risen from the ashes

Ugh! I know exactly how everyone feels.

Our wonderful Ministry of Education contracted out to a hosting provider several years ago to create an online incident reporting site to be used by all schools in the province. Sounds good. The contractor wrote the site in standard HTML and JavaScript ... except for 1 date field where he used an IE-specific JavaScript function.

We're a Linux-using school district who has to run a Windows 98 virtual machine on the secretaries desk *JUST* so they can use this one website when a student is injured at school.

What's most frustrating is that the first year the site was released, we sent them a 1-line patch to fix the site by using a standard JavaScript date function. Response: it's a commercial product, we can't edit anything, but we'll let the vendor know so they can fix it in their next release.

HELLO!! It's a frickin' text file on your web server. Just update that one file!!!

It's now almost 5 years later, several updates to the website later, and that one date field still only works in IE.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2011
Banned

Well, that would be frustrating.. but if it's Javascript, that's client side, you could definitely use Firefox with a greasemonkey rule.

Win98 in a VM is an awful elaborate hack.

Tags
activex, bugs, iexplore