DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2011
Package Pilot

Default How to set1000base with full-duplex ?

This works all day long!
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.100"
but it gives me autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>).

On connection to my DSL I want my ETHERNET card to be 1000base(whatever) with Full-Duplex. They are all gigabyte cards and I remember that they show as 1000base(something) on Windows-7 last year, but not on FreeBSD now that I'm trying.

After a full day of trial-and-error I learned that it's important to keep your lease { interface "re0"; fixed-address 192.168.1.220 so that you can keep using it and if you change your hostname you can change the fixed-address and it will work today, or you can wait until it expire and use the same number tomorrow.

</var/db/dhclient.leases.re0> I did it like a hundred times but using the wrong stuff when it was time to bump it up to 1000base (whatever)

I tried this:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.1.220 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"

and this:
Code:
ifconfig_re0="DHCP media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"

... and a lot more that did not work.

How do I make this work on FreeBSD 9.0 ?

Thanks in advance
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2011
Banned

Don't disable auto-negotiation, if it is unable to obtain the maximum rate is a problem with the driver, the cable, or the remote side (..switch/router).

Investigate those before forcing it, also, 1000baseTX exists but is not popular nor is it widely supported.. 1000BASE-T however is, it is possible that your interface actually supports 1000BASE-TX but perhaps none of your other network equipment does, opting to instead support the former.

It is also possible that the FreeBSD man page for re(4) is full of shit, and they can't tell the difference.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2011
Package Pilot

Thanks BSDfan666,

As usual, I been googling and reading like crazy and nowhere had I found the information you provided. Nothing even came close. This is what got me started with static IP. School did not work! In one ear, out the other. It was mostly about Win Servers, I lost instrest.

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/route...ip.address.php

Now that you broke it down, i'm sure it's the cheap cards I brought at Fry Computers for $9.99. They said the only difference was the material, (packed mud vs the standard stuff I guest). Good to know the code is good and that even cheap hardware can be an issue.

Anyway, may I ask an additional question here. I been looking to install ntop-4.0.1_1.tbz on my (gw) but it has 51 dependencies and I bet some of those packages has even more dependencies... All I need is something for a command-line (gw). I had something like this "OR" an older version on a i386 running pf back when I first got started. It allowed me to I watch the lan and INTERNET pass through the (gw) just like the old Sygate Firewall (PSPF.EXE) do for Windows.

Or is there something more lightweight to use or is it worth installing ntop-4.0.1_1.tbz on a system with no windows managers and do it really work.

All of those GNOME type dependancies makes it seems so window like.

http://www.ntop.org/blog/
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2011
Banned

I have no qualms with static IP addressing, read what I said again.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2011
Package Pilot

After over 40/50/75 google threads, no one broke it down like you. I think I already understood what you said the first time. Bottom-line, you said "you can't squeeze mustard from A turnip" and best of all, the T-factors. A one-gig card wont pump 1000Mbps if it's hook to a cat-3 cable, etc, etc.

Static IP Addressing was not the question, yet. It was what lead me to this question "How to set 1000base with full-duplex" because since I'm doing things from scratch and just learning jail, I'm doing all I can before-hand/as i go.. This way I don't have to go backward to learn/include what I want or missed.

Sorry for the confusion. Now I "KNOW WHY" for sure set 1000base don't work because of my other hardware and the best part is I can move on to the next step with confidence. But now I'm trying to get some ntop clues with-out starting a new thread. I guest so many questions and comments by the OP can be mis-leading inside one thread.

Last edited by sharris; 22nd May 2011 at 01:08 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2011
Package Pilot

While cleaning up of my machines, I found this buried deep and I almost deleted the directory it was in. Lite and beautiful. It was pftop not ntop. So many tops no one could have guest what I was talking about.

http://www.eee.metu.edu.tr/~canacar/pftop/