Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2012
Administrator

Default pcAnywhere let anyone anywhere inject code into PCs

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01...nywhere_patch/

Quote:
Symantec is urging users to patch pcAnywhere, its remote control application, following the discovery of a brace of serious security flaws.

The most severe of the two holes allows hackers to remotely inject code into vulnerable systems - made possible because a service on TCP port 5631 permits a fixed-length buffer overflow during the authentication process. This line of attack ought to be blocked by a properly configured firewall, but it'd be stupid to rely on that without patching vulnerable systems.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2012
Administrator

Also see http://arstechnica.com/business/news...ty-product.ars

Quote:
Symantec has confirmed that the hacker group Anonymous stole source code from the 2006 versions of several Norton security products and the pcAnywhere remote access tool.

[snip]

Symantec pointed customers to a white paper that recommends disabling pcAnywhere, unless it is needed for business-critical use, because malicious users with access to the source code could identify vulnerabilities and launch new exploits.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2012
Tcpdump Spy

This is why the "our application is secure because no one can read the code"-mentality is just plain stupid.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th February 2012
Administrator

From a follow-up article at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...ak_sheanigans/

Quote:
Symantec has said its pcAnywhere remote control software is once again safe to use, following the release of its latest security patch.

The security giant made the highly unusual move last week of advising customers to avoid using older but still widely used versions of pcAnywhere as a precaution, after it emerged that the product's source code was swiped by Anonymous-affiliated hackers.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2012
New User

I didn't know that people were still using PCanywhere but I am sure that after this "little" problem they had, people won't be too eager to use it again..Not that I have anything against it, I was actually using it quite a lot some time ago..long long time ago. Right now I usually go with Teamviewer and RDP and I would be curious to try out Audials Anywhere if it's something similar to these ones. I've been hearing about it recently but didn't really manage to get too much info about it, I googled it but I could only find info about Audials without the Anywhere part. Do you guys know anything about it? Or are there any other similar softs you are using?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2012
New User

I managed to find out more about that audials anywhere soft, it was released a couple of days ago, there's plenty of info about it on the internet now. it has little to do with pcanywhere but even so it's a good p2p file sharing tool.