DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2012
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD user going to try OpenBSD

Hi everybody,

I've got 2 FreeBSD 9.0 boxes but usually use my laptop for everything and the other one just sits there drawing electricity so decided to install NetBSD or OpenBSD on it.

I did some research first to see what the difference was in the two and decided on OpenBSD. OpenBSD had the emphasis on security, uses the pf firewall and the ports system, which I enjoy using. Who would have thought watching screen after screen of text scroll by could be enjoyable?

I had an OpenBSD 5.0 install disk already burned and wrote it to a 4GB USB stick to see if I liked it, but there was just so much I could do with that and made the leap to install it to the HD.

I found a site that told how to go about populating the source and posts tree and am downloading source as I type. I found another site that lists the ports by category and once I get the ports tree populated will be installing Fluxbox and MC to get started. With FreeBSD I usually wait to log onto a desktop till I get everything installed but will see how it goes.

If there are any major differences in use of OpenBSD and FreeBSD you can think of that might give me a leg up on it I'd appreciate hearing them.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihexagonal View Post
I had an OpenBSD 5.0 install disk already burned...
Welcome!

Note that OpenBSD 5.1 was released 1 May 2012.
Quote:
I found a site that told how to go about populating the source and posts tree and am downloading source as I type.
The OpenBSD project is small in comparison to FreeBSD. Much of the information found on the Internet is old, out-of-date, and/or incorrect. The safest & most correct source for information is that produced by the project itself.
  • For information on obtaining source, study Section 5.3.3 of the official FAQ.
  • Unlike other projects, the OpenBSD project advocates using pre-built packages over compiling ports. Unless you are manually changing compiler options, there is no difference between the packages found on the mirror sites, & those generated locally through building ports. Section 15 of the FAQ has more information on the packages/ports system which would be good to understand.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2012
Port Guard

Thanks, ocicat.

I was looking at the list of ports available on openports.se.

I was checking out the list of available ports and noticed there's no listing for portupgrade, portmaster, or portaudit, which are the very first things I install on a fresh FreeBSD build, but now see from the link you posted there is a different way of doing things with OpenBSD.

I know they encourage the use of packages but ports are what I used when learning and don't think I've ever use anything but.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihexagonal View Post
I was looking at the list of ports available on openports.se.
Recognize that the information posted on http://openports.se is specific to the development branch of OpenBSD. If you installed -release, the version of applications available in packages/ports may not be the same or even available.

If you are unclear on the different flavors of OpenBSD (-release, -stable, & -current), study Section 5.1 of the FAQ.
Quote:
I was checking out the list of available ports and noticed there's no listing for portupgrade, portmaster, or portaudit, which are the very first things I install on a fresh FreeBSD build...
Correct. The official third-party application build systems sported by FreeBSD, OpenBSD, & NetBSD are all different. As for specifics on OpenBSD, again study Section 15 of the FAQ whose link I provided earlier. In particular, packages are installed & upgraded through pkg_add(1).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2012
More noise than signal

Five years ago, the NetBSD project celebrated the 10-year anniversary of their package management facility, pkgsrc, by interviewing many *BSD luminaries about their ports and packages systems. Though the interviews were pkgsrc focused, you can glean much about the approaches each project has taken. OpenBSD's approach is very well described by Marc Espie, the lead developer of the OpenBSD Project's pkg tools.

http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/10years.html
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2012
New User

Hi Trihexagonal,
Hope you enjoy your experience with OpenBSD.
A key item to remember for OpenBSD is that the main system and the packages and ports must be in sync or you will hit package management problems that can only be solved by a reinstall. In FreeBSD, the kernel and ports should be rebuilt at the same time but you are less likely to hit a package management issue that cannot be fixed down the line. You can still hit serious issues in FreeBSD too. At one point, if you built the kernel and system with Clang, you could not build Libreoffice or OpenOffice in ports.
In OpenBSD, if you do a binary upgrade from one release to another and follow the directions, the upgrades are simple and painless. If you want to upgrade more frequently, consider the instructions for following OpenBSD stable which will mainly include patches. You can follow current but just make sure that the dates are the same for the main system and the packages.