DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2013
New User

Default increasing qemu memory

I need to run qemu with 20G ram for development reasons

I added myself to staff users, edited login.conf for unlimited values, log out/log back in and still can't change /bin/ksh ulimit -d unlimited it's fixed on a max amount. Qemu will only start with max 512m ram. My system has 32G and nothing except base + qemu package installed. Tried changing ulimit -d in bsh was also getting the 'exceeds limits' error.

Anybody else have this problem? Do I have to make a malloc.conf memory entry or something
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2013
Daemonology student

You did try to set memory size with qemu -m xyz? Just making sure...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2013
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome, discorder. You don't mention what architecture or release you are using, nor what the per-process limit you are seeing actually is -- e.g., the output from $ ulimit -a.

You mention "bsh" and I assume that is a typo, as that is neither the bash shell nor any of the built-in shells.

The maximum virtual memory available is limited by the value of MAXDSIZ, found in src/sys/arch/<architecture>/include/vmparam.h along with other architecture-dependent values.

Since you're asking about multi-gigabytes of virtual memory per process, I'll assume you are interested in the amd64 architecture. MAXDSIZ for amd64 has been 8GB since OpenBSD 4.1:
Code:
#define MAXDSIZ         ((paddr_t)8*1024*1024*1024)     /* max data size */
The limit you are hitting may be architectural, but without more information, we may not be able to assist further.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2013
New User

I've installed obsd 5.3 amd64 (generic.mp) on a AMD II X4 965 processor
I can start qemu with up to 5G memory now then it throws unable to allocate memory error.
Code:
$ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
coredump(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 8388608
stack(kbytes) 4096
lockedmem(kbytes) 10878357
memory (kbytes) 32632104
nofiles(descriptors) 512
processes 1310

$ulimit
unlimited
I'm building android platform source so 16G+ memory would be preferred. If I can build android directly on obsd instead of using qemu after tinkering I'll let everybody know, that would be great success.

Last edited by discorder; 4th May 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Please use [code] & [/code] tags when posting command output.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2013
More noise than signal

Code:
memory (kbytes) 32632104
32GB. 8 GB for each of the 4 cores of an AMD II X4 965.

As to your apparent 5GB limit, I would look to determine how much virtual memory is available between available RAM and swap, as the allocations must come from somewhere. Once you have confirmed that physical memory and swap space are not the reason for the limit, I recommend reaching out via Email. You should contact either Brad Smith, who is the port maintainer for emulators/qemu, or more generally ask the larger OpenBSD community on the ports@ OpenBSD mailing list.

Unfortunately, this forum is relatively small and no one else has chimed in with any assistance.

---

(When I was doing Android builds, I used an Asus notebook with a 32-bit only Atom CPU and 1GB of RAM. Are you sure you need so many GB of memory?)

Last edited by jggimi; 6th May 2013 at 12:56 PM.