DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013
new want to learn openbsd

Default Looking for the openbsd live cd firewall

......I'm just doing this for my home network to get comfortable with 0penbsd since I know it's so secure. I cant find this cd everywhere I have been looking on the internet. obsdlivecdfw381iso
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectoravtech View Post
......I'I cant find this cd everywhere I have been looking on the internet. obsdlivecdfw381iso
I don't know anything about the ISO image mentioned, but whoever created it is not affiliated with the OpenBSD project.

If you are looking for an OpenBSD environment which does not required installation to a hard disk, you might consider installing (a sanctioned version) OpenBSD to a USB drive. The install script typically used to install to disk is capable to installing to removable media too, however, this also requires that the system be capable of booting from USB as well (older systems may or may not be able to do so).

More information can be learned by studying Section 4 of the official FAQ. Section 14.17.3 mentions this too.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013

That's true but this old server pc I will be using, I don't even think a usb stick will run on it: P6S5AT
I want an openbsd firewall that I install and it just works. Oh I found this and I'm wondering if this is even a good idea: Transparent Firewall With OpenBSD VM, setup in ESXi for promiscuous mode. Hes using a ESXi server motherboard but I'm stuck with mine.

I was able to install the Monowall cdrom version with no problem at all. I setup dhcp and typed a new subnet.

Last edited by vectoravtech; 10th May 2013 at 07:03 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013
More noise than signal

The P6S5AT spec sheet shows a USB 1.1 port.

You can boot from it.

If the BIOS will let you boot from it directly, you just install directly onto a USB stick.

If the BIOS doesn't let you boot from it directly, you do the exact same install, but you boot the OpenBSD bootloader from CD/DVD drive or from diskette, and select the kernel installed on the stick.

Either option works fine, and if booting from diskette you can create a boot.conf(5) file to automatically load the kernel from USB stick.

---
I've never heard of the ISO you're looking for either, and if it is based on OpenBSD 3.8, you'll be entirely on your own. That release has been unsupported since 1 November, 2006.

Last edited by jggimi; 10th May 2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: clarity, boot.conf
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013

So is there a version made just for being a firewall? That's all I really want. And if not is there a very simple method for setting up an openbsd firewall for a beginner that has never used anything with a terminal?

Any suggestions on simplified reading of the openbsd system?

Last edited by vectoravtech; 10th May 2013 at 07:21 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013
More noise than signal

Correction. I have heard of it. A link is on my own FAQ page. Sorry about that.

See: http://www.alti.at/knowhow/obsdlivecd/fw.php

There has been no update to the documentation since 2008. If you elect to use this package please contact the author for assistance.

Quote:
...I know it's so secure...
Not if it's OpenBSD 3.8. That release was developed in 2005.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
So is there a version made just for being a firewall? That's all I really want. And if not is there a very simple method for setting up an openbsd firewall for a beginner that has never used anything with a terminal?
OpenBSD comes with everything built-in that a "firewall" network gateway device needs: a robust packet filter and a network stack that forwards packets between networks. OpenBSD's packet filter is PF, and the best starting point to learn about it is the PF User's Guide, found on the project website.
Note that this guide is for OpenBSD 5.3, and will not be of use to you if you choose to use OpenBSD 3.8. There have been vast changes between 2005 and today.
But the platform you've chosen doesn't look (to me) like it could be a firewall. Firewall devices sit between networks, and act as gateways. It takes a minimum of two network interface connections (NICs) to have a firewall. One network in, another network out, with the firewall in between the two networks.

I only see one NIC mentioned in that spec sheet.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013

Thankyou so much for this information ocicat and jggimi.

I found the procedure http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html I did find a download for that disk and the setup is automatic during boot. I will see what I can do to get this going.

I will read about doing the setup on the current openbsd. I wish there was an explorer so it would be easier to edit the files because i don't know what im doing.

Last edited by vectoravtech; 10th May 2013 at 10:33 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2013
Administrator

Quote:
I want an openbsd firewall that I install and it just works.
Your goals are more likely to be realized if you treat the exercise as a learning experience. jggimi has already mentioned the PF User's Guide. I will add to conversation Hansteen's tutorial on pf(4). Both of these resources are very helpful to understanding how to use OpenBSD's firewall along with the pf(4) manpage itself.

By the way, welcome to our forums!
Old 10th May 2013

Thankyou for the valuable insight ocicat, amazing links, and thankyou for the welcoming
More noise than signal

There are a variety of built in text editors, usable in console mode or in a terminal window within X Windows. The most fully featured built-in editors are vi(1) and mg(1).

If you want a graphical text editor there are many, but all are third party packages. Of these I sometimes install and use mousepad, mostly for copy/paste rather than text editing.