DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other OS

Other OS Any other OS such as Microsoft Windows, BeOS, Plan9, Syllable, and whatnot.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2013
Port Guard

Default Differences between the Linux and BSD world summarized

In my essay here, based on my observations over a long period of time and my participation in both communities.

http://harishankar.org/blog/entry.ph...unities-online

I wonder what you think about it? Suggestions for improvements/corrections appreciated.

Last edited by harishankar; 14th December 2013 at 11:17 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2013
Arp Constable

My sense is that the essay describes some broad generalizations that would come from participating in the available forums.
Quote:
Ignoring corporate Linux for a moment, a vast majority of Linux users also happen to be users who prefer to "get under the hood", break and fix things.
One could reach the above conclusion running release versions of FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

If you are running FreeBSD 10RC or OpenBSD current, some things are broken and the developers are soliciting testing/patches/fixes. Custom kernels are discouraged in OpenBSD release while NetBSD actually provides guidance on customizing your kernel.

Last edited by shep; 14th December 2013 at 05:02 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2013
Port Guard

Yes, it appears more like a cultural issue than technical, because while both *BSD and Linux distros have developmental and stable versions, I think Linux users are more likely to tinker with both stable and developmental versions of software. BSD approach is more formalized and the need for tinkering/fixing arises more of necessity than the desire to experiment.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2013
Banned

I enjoyed the article. At some point, one comes to realize that systems, architecture, and design can work together.
The common thread is that both groups support the end user making his/her own choice and not letting third parties take control. Of course, there will be exceptions.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2013
Port Guard

Thanks, Ninguem.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2013
Port Guard

The article says:
"BSDs want to remain, to the end, rooted in UNIX tradition and retain the same model. This means that the base Operating Systems rarely receive revolutionary changes and remain true and faithful to the philosophy of simplicity and one-tool-for-one-job. The users of BSD operating systems tend to be conservative and generally do not like change for change's sake."
IMHO, I also had this perspective but exceptions can be found in the recent pkgng(fbsd) more focused on doing more than one thing in a single command or PBI packages in PC-BSD that is assimilated to MS Windows system, for example. Then: are conservative changes a condition of the dimension and capacity of the BSD community or a server-oriented ecosystem less devastated by the consumer market?

Another question:

Does the conservative and intelligent design is superior to evolutionary design and adaptability discussed between BSD and Linux? I want to think what, it depends.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2013
Port Guard

Thanks for your perspective, divel.