DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2014
Port Guard

Default Firefox and Linux Emulation (Procfs support is gone in Openbsd)

I`m trying to run firefox under linux emulation and one culprit is that recent versions of openbsd dropped procfs and firefox is refusing to run without it.

Can't open image file: No such file or directory
Supplied image file name: "/proc/self"
dup2 error: : Bad file descriptor

That`s from firefox when i try to run it (Portable version for linux)

I`m trying to emulate firefox linux binary because there i`ll try flash.

Any way to get around procfs ?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2014
Port Guard

Linux emulation needs procfs but openbsd drops procfs, what`s the logic behind this ? Seems like security but still, they must remove linux emulation too, it`s useless without proc.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2014
More noise than signal

hello, and welcome.

This was discussed in 2009, prior to its eventual removal in June. Developers who commented said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Guenther
...none of the developers want to touch (procfs)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Unangst
...The OpenBSD implementation of procfs was written/donated to BSD 15 years ago, back when it was still at Berkeley. In OpenBSD, it has barely changed since, and isn't really maintained or supported...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Beck
For new applications we do not use it, but prefer to use a properly
designed sysctl or ioctl interface to retrieve information from the kernel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo de Raadt
The major reason for moving away from procfs is that there are numerous TOCTOU problems.
The decision to finally remove it occurred in June, after having it broken in tree for a significant length of time. A query regarding the decision was posted to @tech
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
hello, and welcome.

This was ]discussed in 2009, prior to its eventual removal in June. Developers who commented said:The decision to finally remove it occurred in June, after having it broken in tree for a significant length of time. A query regarding the decision was to @tech
I understand but why linux emulation is still there as an option while significant amount of apps still need procfs to operate ?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2014
More noise than signal

I am unable to answer, as I have not paid attention to this part of the code base as I have not used compat_linux(8) myself in at least ten years (for what was then required to build native-mode Java).

I recommend you reach out to Philip Guenther (guenther@) directly, as procfs removal was his recommendation, or ask the group of developers who currently support linux_compat -- guenther@ tedu@, pirofti@, and matthew@. AFAIK, none of these developers participate here.

If you prefer, you could ask this question on misc@. I'm not sure how many people here still use linux_compat. We had one member I'm aware of who used it because he preferred the Opera browser, but he is no longer active, and while he was here he did not have the knowledge or skills to answer technical questions.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
I am unable to answer, as I have not paid attention to this part of the code base as I have not used compat_linux(8) myself in at least ten years (for what was then required to build native-mode Java).

I recommend you reach out to Philip Guenther (guenther@) directly, as procfs removal was his recommendation, or ask the group of developers who currently support linux_compat -- guenther@ tedu@, pirofti@, and matthew@. AFAIK, none of these developers participate here.

If you prefer, you could ask this question on misc@. I'm not sure how many people here still use linux_compat. We had one member I'm aware of who used it because he preferred the Opera browser, but he is no longer active, and while he was here he did not have the knowledge or skills to answer technical questions.
Thank you.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2014
More noise than signal

guenther@ just asked for additional information on procfs use in response to a user-submitted patch:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=140851172004042&w=2

If you need procfs, you should explain your requirement to him.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
guenther@ just asked for additional information on procfs use in response to a user-submitted patch:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=140851172004042&w=2

If you need procfs, you should explain your requirement to him.
Instead of using procfs i`ve installed freebsd since it has linprocfs enabled there.