DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd November 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Default Japanese & Chinese support in OpenBSD?

That's kind of neat. Thank you for sharing. Idle curiosity, do you speak Japanese? (Just the mention of Japan and NetBSD in the same post makes me realize that my section on Japanese in NetBSD is 8 years old. If I remember correctly, at that time, getting Japanese to work in OpenBSD was non-trivial to the point where I gave up. I _think_ that they now have packages for some form of Asian input though.

Ahh, a quick shows a Japanese section, including ibus-anthy, so I'm guessing it's fairly straightforward.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd November 2014
Spam Deminer

When I looked through the packages available for Ibus, OpenBSD's Ibus appears to have much greater support for Japanese than Chinese. I do not find that surprising. Glancing at various documentation, it appears there are a significant number of BSD users in Japan. SCIM? Probably the same. OpenBSD's UIM is quite good for Chinese, so probably excellent for Japanese. Of course, that is mere conjecture.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2014
Administrator

This thread has been split from its parent:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=8751

...as discussion had digressed from printer configuration to Japanese & Chinese support in OpenBSD.

Respondents are urged to review the forum rules which encourages members to limit discussion in a thread to the topic set forth in the initial post. Side discussions are encouraged in separate threads. We find that most members (& guests...) use this site to search through the archives mining past conversations. Let's help this practice by keeping discussion on topic.

If you want to change subjects, start a new thread.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Good point, and as the offender, I apologize. FreeBSD Japanese support has been fairly good since the mid-2000's, though I find it a little trickier in later versions. (See my comments about it on my page at http://srobb.net/jpninpt.html). I haven't used any of the other BSDs since that time (around 2008 or so), and even back then, I primarily used FreeBSD.