DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Default Media Server

Hello All,

I would like to repurpose an old laptop as a headless media server and access it remotely.

My current configuration is this: OpenBSD 5.6, MPD, NCMPC, Mplayer, MP3Blaster.

I have set up MPD to run automatically (works great) then I have added my favorite stream (radioparadise) to start automatically post boot.

all is great!

FYI, Not that it matters but my computer is just a motherboard ripped from and old intel atom notebook sitting on top of my speakers.

If anyone has any ideas to share I would love to here them.

PS, does anyone know how to prevent a diagnostic boot up on a dell 2120 lattitude?? The web is no help on this one.

Divad
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
I would like to repurpose an old laptop as a headless media server and access it remotely.
...my computer is just a motherboard ripped from and old intel atom notebook sitting on top of my speakers.
...does anyone know how to prevent a diagnostic boot up on a dell 2120 lattitude??
I suspect your cannabalized frankensystem is giving the BIOS fits. You have not divulged the fundamental problem or many specifics, but I am guessing that the lack of a video screen is being unduly noted.

It is up to you to search through the interface provided to determine whether warnings can be disabled, but I would not hold out for much hope as the purpose of the BIOS is to search all attached devices at boot-time before loading the operating system. Some are considered essential, and how the BIOS deals with it is up to the decisions made by the BIOS manufacturer.

Dell is who you need to contact as they could possibly know the specifics of your model, but unless they are going to get money out of the venture, I would not expect them to invest much time into your query. Maybe they will help you; maybe they won't.

Lastly, note that OpenBSD 5.7 has been available for more than a month.
Quote:
If anyone has any ideas to share I would love to here them.
If you are looking for a simple low-power headless system which doesn't require tremendous horsepower, I would suggest looking at PC Engines' Alix or APU systems:

http://www.pcengines.ch

They are not terribly expensive, and the are well supported by the OpenBSD community. Adding a Wistron CM9 card (and appropriate antennae...)

http://www.mini-box.com/Wistron-CM9-...&category=1363

...will allow wireless access.

Likewise, an older Sun Ultra 5 or 10 works well as a headless system, but they have been discontinued since 2005, and they aren't as small. Power consumption may or may not be an issue. I also do not know if all applications mentioned work on the Sparc64 platform, but I suspect they are relatively cheap on eBay.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks Ocicat,

You are exactly correct the bios is giving all kind of errors. I have since given up on the project and am currently looking into some of the other options you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Divad