Originally Posted by bsdnewbie999
what is the different between mplayer-1.0rc2p2-sdl.tgz and mplayer-1.0rc2p2.tgz packages?
Within Section 15.2.3 of the FAQ,
- you will find a link entitled Packages for OpenBSD 4.3. Click it.
- On the Packages - Architecture Selection for OpenBSD page which is then displayed, select i386, assuming this is the architecture you are using.
- Search for mplayer, where you will find short descriptions for each package which is already available at mirror sites.
- Note that each package name is also a link. Clicking on either:...will yield the same information where you will find at the bottom of either page information stating that the sdl package requires devel/sdl.
- Returning to the previous page, searching for "sdl" will yield sdl-1.2.13p0.tgz which on its description page points out that it is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide fast access to both audio & graphics devices.
Which one should i install ?
If you are running mplayer
on X, running the version with SDL may be a good choice. If you have trouble, run the other version.
There is also a third-party (not affiliated with the OpenBSD project...)
site which covers this same information:
The same information is available there, but can take fewer clicks to find it.