View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2022
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
Of course I don't want to have my login credentials exposed over regular internet....
If your session is using HTTPS protocol, the contents of your traffic is not exposed. The enciphered traffic is sent back and forth between your IP address and the web server's IP address, though.
Quote:
...I just tried looking up the OpenVPN provisioning guidance readme as you suggest using a duckduckgo search on this mac but found nothing (suprising actually) so I'm using this which is actually a pretty solid guide, as far as I can tell, for getting my OpenVPN client connection setup in OpenBSD..

So per the instructions on that page I've successfully downloaded the OpenVPN using
Code:
pkg_add -v openvpn
Then you have now installed the README file, which you can find in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/.
Quote:
..Wouldn't the pkg_add command have already installed OpenVPN to /etc/openvpn meaning the directory has already been made as part of the installation process?
Not the way it is currently packaged. I cannot tell you why, as I am not an openvpn user. You could reach out to the port/package maintainer for an explanation of why it is packaged this way, if you wish. Jeremie Courreges-Anglas's email address can be found in the output of $ pkg_info openvpn.
Quote:
...After using
Code:
 #cp /mnt/pen /etc/openvpn
it seems to do the copy over, but then when I navigate to /etc/openvpn and do
Code:
#ls -l
to check for the newly added OVPN files, it reports 0 (no files in this DIR)...
You are not using the cp(1) command correctly. To copy contents from one directory to another, a recursive copy should be used, with the -R option. From the cp(1) man page:
Code:
     -R      If source designates a directory, cp copies the directory and the
             entire subtree connected at that point.