View Single Post
Old 14th December 2022
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
After running col(1) to strip control characters, edit the resulting file to remove anything you want redacted before posting.There are two ways:
Thanks, but when I try editing the .typescript file that I created using script -a /etc/scripts/blahblah.typescript using vi as follows:
Code:
 vi /etc/scripts/blahblah.typescript
I can't move the cursor to the section I want to redact (the ip address starting with 192). I tried navigating manually using the j and k keys (in command mode), but its stuck on the last page. Apparently the vi command to move the cursor to this part of the output is
Code:
/text
where 192 is entered instead of text. but this doesn't do anything! I can see the relevant text within vi as I scroll up and down using [CMD]SHIFT-PGUP[/CMD] to find IP ADDR: 192.168.x.x.. but if I use the officlally recommended command [CMD]/192[/CMD] it doesn't give me squat!

So what else can I use to "edit" this typescript file and redact the sensitive bits? I tried ed(1) already btw but its hopeless. It seems to have the same inane secret handshake methodologies for performing basic functions as vi, but unfortunately not the same specific shortcuts as vi's... and I'm just going nowhere with it, even with the man pages... So what else can I use to edit the file, and why is vi failing me?

Quote:
  1. If started through rc.conf(8) at boot, the rcctl(8) utility can show you running daemons with # rcctl ls started. There are a wide variety of options to the rcctl ls subcommand, please see the rcctl(8) man page for more information.
  2. The previously discussed -- recall my inadvertent typo for -- the pgrep(1) utility.
Ok great, using this I've now got a list of the running daemons and of course openvpn isn't one of them. Interesting side note: I found that by pressing the power button I can be taken back to the ttys screen showing the last part of the startup output before the main login window appears, and it clearly showed "Starting package daemons: openvpn(failed)"

Thinking that perhaps I messed up the openvpn installation at some point of my creating / deleting the config file I used
Code:
pkg_delete openvpn
to delete it before reinstalling after reboot using
Code:
pkg_add -vv openvpn
, where this time I've selected the [3] option "openvpn -embedtls" in case my previous installation of just "openvpn2.5.7" meant I was missing something necessary... Will this mbedtls version of openvpn work the same for this simple client connection purposes?