View Single Post
Old 14th December 2022
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
So what else can I use to "edit" this typescript file and redact the sensitive bits?
I recommend installing one of the third-party editors, there are nearly 70 to choose from. One of these is nano, which I have never used but I understand from others that it is considered simple and intuitive.

OpenBSD comes with vi(1), mg(1), ed(1), and sed(1), and to be honest there's a learning curve for all of them.
Quote:
I found that by pressing the power button I can be taken back to the ttys screen showing the last part of the startup output before the main login window appears, and it clearly showed "Starting package daemons: openvpn(failed)"
You should be able to reach the console on amd64 with this three-finger salute: CTRL-ALT-F1, and return to your X11 session with CTRL-ALT-F5.

You may be able to find out why OpenVPN is failing to start, with: # rcctl -d start openvpn. The rc.d(8) man page describes the -d option:
Code:
     -d      Setting this option will print the function names as they are
             called and prevent the rc.subr(8) framework from redirecting
             stdout and stderr to /dev/null.  This is used to allow debugging
             of failed actions.
It was my prior guess that your interactive requirements are a cause, if not the root cause, for the daemon's failure.
Quote:
Will this mbedtls version of openvpn work the same for this simple client connection purposes?
I think its an option to the client, and not a different version of the client. But in answer, I don't know what services your vendor requires, and I have no OpenVPN experience to aid you with properly provisioning the client.

Last edited by jggimi; 14th December 2022 at 09:49 PM. Reason: clarity, typo