View Single Post
Old 17th March 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstorm View Post
Below is what I did and the respond I received.
This branch of your working directory tree currently contains neither conflicts nor local modifications.

All -stable commits include a revision to the RCS header in line 1 of every source file. The errata patches do not have this RCS revision. Check the first line of /usr/src/usr.bin/ssh/session.c, and note the revision number of the file. Below, I obtain three revisions of this file.

-release or -release + errata:
Code:
$ cvs get -r OPENBSD_5_8_BASE src/usr.bin/ssh/session.c
U src/usr.bin/ssh/session.c
$ head -1 src/usr.bin/ssh/session.c
/* $OpenBSD: session.c,v 1.278 2015/04/24 01:36:00 deraadt Exp $ */
$
-stable:
Code:
$ cvs get -r OPENBSD_5_8 src/usr.bin/ssh/session.c
/* $OpenBSD: session.c,v 1.278.2.1 2016/03/10 11:54:22 djm Exp $ */
$
-current:
Code:
$ cvs get -A src/usr.bin/ssh/session.c
/* $OpenBSD: session.c,v 1.282 2016/03/10 11:47:57 djm Exp $ */
$
Quote:
Do I need to insert the -rOPENBSD_5_8 tag into the $ cvs up -C command since I am following stable?
No, tags are "sticky." You can see them in any of the working directory branches and leaves, as each directory contains a CVS directory and within, you will see a Tag file.
Quote:
should I update my source normally and then recompile the source tree and userland?
It appears your source tree is now -stable, but you should check the applicable RCS headers as noted above to confirm. If it is now indeed -stable, you may rebuild it if you wish. It will take time, but will provide you with the assurance that your source matches your binary. In this instance, it appears to me that your deviation from standard practice has not caused any harm.