View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2022
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
It means there is nothing in the directory. The "." is a pointer to the current directory, and the ".." is a pointer to the directory above.

===

If you can produce one, I'd love to see a console log -- a "typescript" file, output from the script(1) utility -- from a new attempted copy session. If you are able to transfer the file, of course.

In particular, I'd like to see the contents of the source directory structure you are trying to copy out of, using ls(1) with the -l option, so that the file types and file access modes are displayed, and, if there are any errors or warnings from the cp(1) command.
I've just used script(1) to create command line outputs using
Code:
 script -a cpfail.typescript
but when I try and upload these script outputs to a new post in these forums whilst in my OpenBSD firefox, the "browse" to file upload option just gives a blank screen. Is this because of OpenBSD's built in sandboxing preventing FFox from seeing anything else in the system? Either way, how do I get the script uploaded to a new post from within the OpenBSD system!? I'm guessing I may need to use a third party service to upload the files to (e.g. pastebin?) but won't I just encounter the same issue when I inevitably use the "browse to" option to select the file I want to upload to pastebin? How can I get the typescript output up here for you to view!

In the meantime I'm going to briefly summarise this thread as its already getting quite long, and I've actually already faithfully listed all the command line inputs used to date anyway. In post #3 in this thread I showed how I'd mounted the OVPN config files to the newly made directory /mnt/pen (and later /mnt/usb). I confirmed that this had been successful because using ls-l from within the /mnt/usb directory showed the full contents of the USB that I know to exist from having put it on the USB in a MacOS system beforehand.

Since then I've also done at least two posts showing my command line input of the cp command (including the recursive -R argument and including a form where I specified the full path to the sourcefile)
Code:
cp -R ._my_expressvpn_switzerland.udp.ovpn /etc/openvpn
and how when I then navigate to the relevant destination directory (/etc/openvpn) it shows nothing upon inputting
Code:
ls -l
Today I've redone the whole process again (as I found no contents within the /mnt/usb directory) and found that aside from the ._myexpressvpn_switzerland.udp.ovpn file there is actually a more standard (unhidden) form of the same file: my_expressvpn_switzerland.udp.ovpn, so I've copied this standard file across to the /etc/openvpn destination folder only to navigate in there and find nothing again (as usual). What was different this time, however, was that my terminal script output (typescript file) was showing when I listed the directory contents, meaning that whatever is preventing the successful copying to that destination is not a permissions issue (I'm doing this all in root anyway)...

When I use the copy command from within the mounted directory of USB contents I get no feedback from the console after pressing enter on the following
Code:
cp *.ovpn /etc/openvpn
and it returns me to the # console. This means the cp command ran without error right? Another observation that may be relevant here: When I use the
Code:
cd
command to navigate to the /mnt/usb directory, I find that I can only get into it by first typing (from root)
Code:
cd /mnt
followed by
Code:
cd usb
If I type cd /usb (from within the /mnt directory), it says no file or directory exists. Why does typing cd without the forward slash get me into this /usb directory but doing it with the forward slash not. It is a directory after all, and I've confirmed its mounted contents previously....