View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2022
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd-keith View Post
Because /mnt is a system/root directory you need to use the slash, but /mnt/usb is a sub directory of /mnt so you don't need it, if you are in /mnt, but if you aren't in /mnt, you need cd /mnt/usb.
Thanks Keith... and as a general update: I went back to basics and read a basic unix command tutorial. It turns out that the openvpn directory that I was copying to was actually a file. I was able to figure this out by navigating to the directory and doing the "ls -l" command whereupon with the benefit of my recent command line learnings I realised that its only a directory if its got a d at the far left of the descriptive listings (next to the permissions of rw -r--r-- etc.) Still, its sad that no error msg was produced when I tried copying this file to a file named 'openvpn'. I'm presuming it did nothing, but it didn't either give me an error message or anything..

As a caveat, however, I had to delete the openvpn file in /etc before I could create a directory with the same name. I'm pretty sure the openvpn file I deleted in /etc was of no significance as it was something I'd probably created with an erroneous cp command early in my trials on doing this about a week ago, but I'm not 100% sure :/
It would be good as a learning experience to know how I created a file named openvpn in the first place mind you. From today's unix basics I think a file can only be created by typing vi /<filename> meaning I must have typed the following at some point in all of this?
Code:
vi openvpn
Anyway I'm now going to try and get this openVPN connection to my Expressvpn using the guide referred to in post one - wish me luck!