Added new user to staff and wheel groups in /etc/group
wheel:*:0:root,user
staff:*:20:staff,user

Edited /etc/doas.conf
permit nopass keepenv :user
permit nopass keepenv :wheel
permit nopass keepenv root as root

su user
"Error: "ksh: Cannot determine current working directory" (???)
whoami = user

qtfm
"Warning: Could not connect to the display ((null):0, (null))
Info: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found. ((null):0, (null))
Fatal: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized."

su back to root
qtfm still worked fine.

su - i user
qtfm
Info: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found. ((null):0, (null))
Fatal: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized."

su back to root

su -i for user broke qtfm for root, why?
Edit 2 This looks similar ... https://github.com/ksh93/ksh/issues/141

Edit 3: Rebuilt /etc/doas.conf using vim rather than nano. Opened then saved /etc/group via vim as well. (Based on guidance that nano can cause a rare problem.)
Logged in as user, rather than root, and qtfm worked fine. su to root and the error occurred with root. Exit back to user and qtfm works OK. Very weird ...

Edit 4: Mucked around a bit more and have things as stable as I can get them. Moving on to server setup.

Last edited by nevils1; 8th February 2023 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added a lot of information