View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Quite honestly, I believe the certification is a sham.. I would not pay a dime.
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. I can partially agree with your stance in that there are some certifications out there that are all about the $$ and "memorization". That being said, I think the BSDCG have worked hard to make a test that does not fall into this category. Moreover, with the BSDP, the exam is part 'live-based' which will truly test whether you can perform the objectives or not. Theoretically, it's said live-based exams are seen as more respected but there are always opinions as we've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko
Which BSD? Could you tell me exact amount of money my favorite project OpenBSD has received from BSDA?
Well, what I was speaking about was spreading awareness about the systems. Like it or not, and regardless of OpenBSD being your preferred system, FreeBSD is in fact the flagship BSD project as it has the most support, etc etc. OpenBSD is also represented in this certification and is therefore part of the 'community'. Therefore, at least indirectly, and if you look at things from a positive viewpoint, OpenBSD does benefit from the exposure other BSD's might gain.

If you are looking to expand on this idea of community and still need a specific example of financial sponsorship, you have only to look at what the BSD Fund recently did with the proceeds from NYBSDCON 2010.

Quote:
$14,400 in NYCBSDCon 2010 Proceeds Donated To BSD Projects
You have to scroll half-way down the page, but in essence they divided the proceeds equally among Free, Net, Open, and Dragonfly

http://bsdfund.org/press/

Many of the board members on the BSDGG are heavily involved in these events and like myself, seem to agree that the BSD systems as a whole need more adoption/exposure. The BSD Certification is simply another angle in the larger scheme of pushing these systems in industry.

Regards