View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2021
Too dumb for a smartphone

Since your post mentions old stuff ...

When my dad got his first computer (an IBM-XT clone with a 10 MB hard disk) in the late 1980's, the vendor threw in a few computer books for him as a sort of bonus. Some of them were about C, but they weren't of any interest to my dad, so they kind of drifted into my hands.

As I began to read them, I can remember several attempts to learn C that ended in giving up for a while, only to come back later. So I can understand where you may be at. It can be hard at first, and it didn't help that my mind had been polluted with Fortran, perhaps. I'm not sure if Go would be more or less helpful. I should add I was never a computer science student or professional programmer. Just an amateur/hobby thing.

One of the books was "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie. I would recommend it. It's an oldie pretty much from the horse's mouth, and quite good. Since it is old, it's from before all the C standards were finalized. This may be a very good thing for someone starting out, because you really don't need to worry about that too much just to get a feel for how things work.

Eventually I read through that book and worked a lot of the problems in it. Learning by doing, also recommended. If you can come up with small project ideas of your own to write in C, that also helps, because you'll want to do them, it won't be "just homework".

Probably someone can recommend a good more modern book. The other thing you can do, once you've read a chapter and learned about some new group of functions in the standard C library, is to look at the BSD manual pages (and/or Linux) for these functions, and compare them with your book. The man pages will give an up to date description of these things as used by practical code --- such as the very OS on your computer.

So keep at it, and good luck!

Last edited by IdOp; 30th May 2021 at 11:46 PM. Reason: grammar