View Single Post
Old 25th August 2009
New User

Well I did intend to use FreeBSD as a Desktop, however I will be using it for a server, as well. As soon as I get enough cash I will use that to build me a faster server.

Well I never actually thought that it really mattered what we use BSD for, whether it be desktop or server. My idea of it was an alternative to linux. Maybe I was wrong? The broadcom card is in my laptop, yes I have both a laptop and desktop and I was thinking about switching them both over, but I just didn't want surprises.

I don't like flash either, but some web sites I go to use flash so unfortunately I have to use it. Either that, or not use my favorite web sites, like youtube. Support for it sucks in linux as well, imo. I can't even get my web cam working with flash on linux (even after playing with flash settings, and adding the domain to the trusted list, or whatever it was called), but it works fine for cheese, and amsn. I haven't tried any open source alternatives for use with my web cam because I've never had good experience with them just trying to play regular videos with firefox.

As compared to linux, and since the main use of my desktop computer would be a desktop environment and the server would be more like a secondary use, might it not be the best idea or would this decision have to be based completely on my own opinion alone?