View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet--berkeley View Post
I believe that the time was set correctly. What would "time in the new kernel" set incorrectly look like?
The fundamental problem is a mismatch between:
  • the current time understood by the BIOS.
  • the current time understood by the kernel.
...which is discussed in Section 8.25 of the FAQ. If the newly installed kernel is not tracking the correct current time, files freshly downloaded under the previous kernel may have timestamps sometime in the future relative to the new kernel's incorrect current time. This will wreck havoc when building with make(1). I have had this situation before when building -current, & the userland build usually broke very late in the userland build somewhere when building Apache-related binaries. I haven't made this mistake for awhile, so I don't know where breakage would happen today.
Quote:
...I successfully built 5.0-stable and left two exports in the root .profile from building the 5.0-stable distribution:
Don't make these values persist in ~/.profile. I have made this mistake before, & it will wreck havoc in very subtle ways if present when building ports. DESTDIR & RELEASEDIR should only be set when building userland, & never elsewhere. Once userland is finished building, make sure these variables are no longer set.