View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2022
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
when using the definitive checking command line tools (msinfo32 and systemroot%\Panther) from within Windows, both confirm UEFI, but the latter doesn’t actually say UEFI. It states “EFI”.
That indicates Windows is installed in UEFI mode and so must be using a GUID partition table (GPT).

Disable "Hybrid" mode in your machine's firmware ("BIOS") options to make sure the OpenBSD installer boots in UEFI mode.

You may have to create a manual boot entry for OpenBSD because the Windows EFI loader will almost certainly over-ride it. I think I can help you with that though.

Quote:
Ok so how might the “local naming conventions for the USB key” translate for me trying to do this dd if=miniroot72.img of=/dev/rsdNc bs=1m command in MacOS (OSx)? I’ve heard that MacOS is partially based on BSD anyways so I’m guessing I can just use this basic command?
OS X is based on FreeBSD so it will probably inherit their block device nomenclature. I don't actually know what that is but if you plug in a USB stick and then run 'dmesg' that should indicate the name of the device. I dimly recall having to address the "raw" device in FreeBSD, just as in OpenBSD, so the 'r' prefix is probably needed. Or maybe not.

We do have some members here who actually know about FreeBSD so I'm sure they'll correct my ramblings.

Quote:
on wheel (whatever that is)
Membership of the wheel group allows normal users to access the root account with the su command. This is common for the BSDs.

Quote:
Now I’m pretty clueless regarding SSH but I have read that its a key tool used by hackers, and I’m wondering if its something I even want enabled
Not if you don't need it. That would be silly :-)