View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2022
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
When you say that I'll need to create a manual boot entry, is this the same as making the USB device the first priority in the boot order, or something special deeper in the BIOS options...
I think you might have to create a brand new boot order entry.

OpenBSD relies on the EFI loader location reserved for removable devices, such as USB sticks. Such a loader will probably only function if there are no other boot entries for that drive.

I can select the hard drive itself in my ThinkPad's firmware boot menu and that will start the removable loader but a custom menu entry would be more convenient.

Be aware that the current OpenBSD FAQ multi-boot instructions will only work with non-UEFI systems. If we can get your UEFI system booting I can look at updating the FAQ, which will benefit everybody.

Quote:
Before I put "Generic USB device" to the top of the UEFI boot order I had to move it above "OS Boot manager". Is this the Windows EFI loader you're referring to?
Yes, that's right.

Quote:
Can you create secondary user accounts that can't access root with SU commands if I were trying to achieve that goal of doing most stuff in a non privileged account for security?
Yes.

Quote:
I also read about the latest release (7.2) that Wifi is working by default.
Not sure about that one. I know Debian has recently changed it's non-free firmware stance but I'm ignorant of any such changes in OpenBSD.