View Single Post
Old 16th November 2022
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
Did you check the dmesg output after plugging in the stick? That should list all of the /dev/ entries assigned to that device.
I certainly did and it was just completely unintelligible. Swathes of text and I couldn't quickly see anything in my brief lookover relating to /dev's or /disks... How can I use dmesg properly then in MacOS? Do I need to use something else? BTW are you suggesting dmesg on the basis that the likely error in my cmd line input is to do with the destination (of=/dev/disk4 and of=/dev/rdisk4) ? Why has the command line I entered given me that list of argument options like -h -V etc? Does it mean there's an error in my cmd line input? Is it definitely because of the destination I'm specifying for the output file (OF) ?

Quote:
A brief search suggests this will list all USB-attached external drives:
Code:
system_profiler SPUSBDataType
Great I'll give this a try to reinforce what diskutil should already be reporting correctly (USB drive as disk4)
Quote:
I would try
Code:
sudo cp /Users/Shared/Docs/Personal/IT/Operating\ Systems/OpenBSD/Installation\ Files/install72.img /dev/disk4
No idea if OS X has a sync(8) equivalent so just wait a good long while after the command finishes to ensure the copy buffers are fully flushed. Make sure the USB stick really is assigned to /dev/disk4 before running the command or you might nuke your system.
Ok, but does cp copy the image across in the "raw" format the instruction pages seem to indicate as being mandatory?
As for double checking the USB stick is actually assigned to disk4, is that where this new system_profiler SPUSBDataType terminal command comes into play?