View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

@Oko,
That's interesting getting those systems so cheap. I'll have to look into that. So far, I have not had to buy any system in 7 years or so. As Windows users "upgrade" their OS, they give me their "old" boxes though I have built a few for those same people.

As a hardware engineer who used to build systems with wire and TTL gates, it's not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
I never buy prebuild computer , because I think they do not use best component for make best computer
Absolutely! Most off the shelf boxes seem to be 2nd rate, or at least no "bleeding edge", but that's one way they keep the prices down and reliability up.

I forgot about this. The one and only time I did buy a system was for my wife's business. She needed a new box quickly, when Quickbooks just wasn't able to run efficiently on her old one after an upgrade. I did the research and ordered one from Dell (she gets a national business discount). At the time, I thought all such things had AGP slots. When she gave it up, and I "inherited" it, I was unable to improve the graphics since it could only run the onboard graphics chips.

Another reason why I vowed I would never buy another off-the-shelf unit again.