View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2022
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
would be easier if you provided the OS's already installed, the bootloader you are using and what your overall goal is.
Right. So the drive on this machine has been partitioned into three pieces. The first partition is 32 gig and is used for occasionally trying an OS out after first testing in emulation. The partition is usually not used. The second partition is a small one, I think 256 meg, enough to contain some kernels, init ram disk files and lilo. The entire rest of the drive is one LUKS encrypted partition. Inside of that is an LVM2 physical volume which, in turn, contains several thin provisioned volumes. There is one Linux distro whose sole function is to run lilo and thus it is the boot manager OS for this computer. There are three other Linux installs: one is the daily driver, the other two are older former daily drivers. Upon rebooting, lilo presents a menu that lists all operating systems and I can then chose any one of them. The only negative aspect to all of this is when a kernel or init ram disk update happens in my daily driver, I have to reboot into the boot manager, copy the kernel & init ram fs in, then rerun lilo.

It is intended that BSD go on the 32 gig first partition, and that it doesn't mess with anything else on the drive and that lilo can hand off to it.

That's a mess of detail. I hope it helps to clarify matters.

p.s. this is how I successfully booted a previous OpenBSD install in lilo.conf:
Code:
# open bsd part begins
other = /dev/sda1
  label = OpenBSD
  table = /dev/sda
  loader = chain
# open bsd part ends
so I'd guess that would also work for NetBSD, once it actually gets installed? But getting it installed is the current problem.