View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2022
Banned

Default OpenBSD Noob in need of guidance

Hi All,

I'm looking to set OpenBSD 7.2 up on a 10 year old HP Probook 6470B, and please excuse me if these questions are a little naive but since working with MS DOS 6.22 in childhood some 25+ years ago and spending the bulk of my time in GUI based OS's since, I'm going to need all the help I can to get this working..

Firstly, given the hardware mentioned above: do I need the i386 or can I use the AMD64 installation files? The CPU is an Intel Pentium so I'm guessing I'm limited to i386 but then I read a forum post where some OpenBSD experts were talking about i386 lacking some security mitigations of AMD64, and if I can get the AMD64 working on this hardware I'd rather run with that if possible. Do I have a choice here?

Secondly, the installation basics: I've taken a look at the helpful forum FAQ here, and ended up at the OpenBSD FAQ (official) which led me to look into how I create the installation media. In my case it will be a USB installer, but the guidance seems to indicate the use of a DD command. (# dd if=install*.img of=/dev/rsd6c bs=1M)
Is this command based on the assumption that I'm already in a Unix environment?! If so I need to know how to create this media on an M2 (Arm64) Macbook where I'm guessing the DD command line won't even work in terminal..

Thirdly, does anyone have links on how to lock down a freshly installed OpenBSD installation? I'm already aware of its secure by default installation nature, but I'm dealing with some determined bad actors and I don't want to leave any doors open on this fresh installation. e.g. Can I disable Wifi straight away? (or is it disabled by default?) I've previously used this helpful guide from Dr Duh https://github.com/drduh/macOS-Secur...-Privacy-Guide to lock down my fresh MacOS installations of the last few years. Is there something similar for OpenBSD that gives this solid command by command guidance on achieving the same kind of lockdown on a fresh OpenBSD install?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I look forward to getting this most secure OS up and running to secure my future computing!