View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2022
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd-keith View Post
It's a disk image, so as long as its image copied to the whole drive, it should boot up OK.

(I, personally, always use the command line when creating bootable pendrives, but it might work, it shouldn't be copied to a mounted drive.)

(The 3 ways to make a bootable are dd, cp, & cat)
I'm not quite sure what to make of this section. Put differently, are you saying that copying the OpenBSD installation image to the USB stick should work using my method of simply dragging the freshly downloaded file onto the USB using the MacOS GUI, but that you can't be sure as you have always created the bootable USB's using command lines? The last line of this section seems to suggest that its absolutely mandatory to use the command line options to transfer the images to the USB as if this is what makes it bootable?

PS: I've just been trying to figure out if i can use the DD command in OSX (MacOS) terminal and it looks like I can. Again they don't clarify if its the use of the DD command that magically endows the USB stick with "bootable" characteristics or whether its just a faster way of transferring the image file to the USB stick Why does the USB stick need to be unmounted before having the OpenBSD installation files moved to it - is this relevant to OSx where I'll be creating this USB installation stick?
Quote:
P.S. Unless you configure wifi, it won't get configured by default.
Ah yes this rings true with what I read somewhere in the last couple days on one of the many sites I've visited re: OpenBSD in the last couple days. Thanks for clearing this up.

Quote:
If you are seriously worried about wifi, you could open up the laptop & remove the little PCI card, but that is a bit drastic...
I was considering this with an older Macbook that I'll soon be retiring but I think I'll be content with the default 'off' state inherent to OpenBSD