View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2022
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
1. Domain Name Resolution: provisioning guidance is in the networking chapter of the FAQ at this link: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Setup.resolver
2. su(1): exit the root shell to return to your normal user. You may find the doas(1) command and its configuration file doas.conf(5) to be an easier or more convenient way to become the superuser temporarily. The doas(1) command is mentioned in the afterboot(8) man page.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'll bear the doas command in mind when I'm just wanting temporary root powers. PS: I just typed
Code:
SU
and it does something but its unclear whether I've exited root.... Has it?
It has the $ sign instead of # at the command line starting prompt so I'm guessing this is proof that I'm out of root now?

Now, regarding internet access. I entered
Code:
 ifconfig em0 inet autoconf
to connect my OpenBSD laptop to the router for it to get auto assigned an IP from the routers DHCP. I then tried syspatch which did something, but then after a few mins nothing appeared so it seems thats still kaput?

I then went ahead and downloaded a package (Firefox) using
Code:
pkg_add firefox
and it spat out this verbose list of things it was downloading and then extracting, but I noticed a few errors. Finally in the tail it shows
"Can't install firefox-107.0. Can't resolve icu4c-71.1v0". I'd like to scroll back up through the verbose output but I can't (in xterm window). How do I scroll back up through the output as FFox was dloaded and installed? There's a up/down bar toggle on the left of the screen but clickign it and then moving it up and down does nothing... Neither does PGUP or PGDWN, or the direction keys! URGGH!

Also, why didn't it install properly given my use of
Code:
 pkg_add firefox
?