View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2022
Banned

Thanks jggimi. I think I'll be able to avoid the lastpass client now that I've got FFox installed. I should be able to goto lastpass.com and log in there and hopefully when it prompts me for the yubikey it will actually do so in the same way it does when i go there on my Macbook. I suspect not, but getting that device recognised/enabled may be a topic for another thread.

Of course I don't want to have my login credentials exposed over regular internet and so I still need to get this OpenVPN connection established to my VPN provided (ExpressVPN). As things are I'm writing these posts and doing all my OpenBSD article finding on this Macbook. I just tried looking up the OpenVPN provisioning guidance readme as you suggest using a duckduckgo search on this mac but found nothing (suprising actually) so I'm using this which is actually a pretty solid guide, as far as I can tell, for getting my OpenVPN client connection setup in OpenBSD..

So per the instructions on that page I've successfully downloaded the OpenVPN using
Code:
pkg_add -v openvpn
At the next step I also don't have any errors (making the directory /etc/openvpn) though I am confused as to why we have to do this in any event. Wouldn't the pkg_add command have already installed OpenVPN to /etc/openvpn meaning the directory has already been made as part of the installation process?

Now comes the main issue: The transferring of the ovpn config files that I've downloaded from within my ExpressVPN account from the USB stick to the OpenBSD system. For that I've used this excellent helper article here. Now before I get to the main issue I need help with, and so that I have a holistic understanding of whats going on when I employ these commands: is this mounting process basically about making a directory on the OpenBSD called /mnt/pen and then copying the entire USB drive's contents across (in this case my OVPN config files) to this newly created directory using the command:
Code:
 mount /dev/sd0i /mnt/pen
Actual issue:
After doing the mount / copy of the USB contents to the newly created /mnt/pen directory, I then tried to copy them across to /etc/openvpn where according to this they need to be for the final editing with vi. After using
Code:
 #cp /mnt/pen /etc/openvpn
it seems to do the copy over, but then when I navigate to /etc/openvpn and do
Code:
#ls -l
to check for the newly added OVPN files, it reports 0 (no files in this DIR)...

Does it matter that when I copied the OVPN files originally to the USB it was done as a simple GUI interface copy on MacOS (not DD or CP in the mac terminal) If so, why am I able to see them fine when I mount the USB drive to /mnt/pen ? As you can see this is a pretty basic step I need to overcome to get the OpenVPN client up and running to secure my internet in OpenBSD. Any help would be appreciated!