View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Off the top of my pointy little head:
  • Apple Mac OS X - FreeBSD userland on the Mach Kernel with a proprietary GUI. OS X also uses FreeBSD's port of OpenSSH from OpenBSD.
  • Microsoft Windows - TCP/IP protocol stack imported from a BSD kernel, then Redmond-ized. I've seen postings mentioning both "NT" and "W2K" as the development point where the stack was imported into Windows. I would believe that all the various NT-based Windows platforms on the market today share that same basic stack. I don't know which particular BSD's kernel code was used as the initial port, nor do I particularly care.
  • Sun Microsystems SunOS -- this -was- a commercial BSD for SPARC. Just sayin'. It was probably the most common commercial BSD installed on the planet, though there were others, including the general purpose BSD/OS for Intel x86.
  • Every commercial Unix out there: AIX, HP/UX, Irix, Solaris, Digital Unix, OSF... you name it, has OpenSSH.
  • Most Linux distributions have OpenSSH available. I won't say -every- Linux distribution, because I'm sure if you hunted among the hundreds of specialized distribs, you might find one that doesn't.
  • Popular turnkey products with BSDs embedded in them include Juniper Networks and Barracuda Networks. There are many others, these are just two that come to mind.
Juno OS (Janiper operating system) for their $100 000 routers is essentially stock BSD 4.4 with extra drivers.
Cisco OS 80% of the code is FreeBSD price range of those devices is in hundreds of thousands.