View Single Post
Old 9th July 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmansdomain View Post
I figure seeing as how many of you are sitting on the answer to my issue...
That expectation is incorrect, in two different ways:
  1. No one is holding back knowledge from you. There is no single answer to a particular PF configuration problem, ever. And the information you posted has been limited, and misleading. The latter may have been unintentional, but your repost of a configuration that could not possibly be used with tcpdump, along with a summary of tcpdump results was confusing. It confused robbak, and it confused me. I assume it was confusing to others reading the thread as well.
  2. There aren't *many* OpenBSD users here. The number of OpenBSD users who regularly answer OpenBSD-related questions on this forum number around a dozen people. And none of them camp on the forum 7x24 waiting for problem reports to appear, so I would bet that only a handful of the regulars have even seen your thread. (That's not to say that FreeBSD users who are also PF users couldn't provide assistance, with the understanding that the PF implementations of the two OSes are actually quite different.) This is one of the reasons I recommended misc@ -- your post would be seen by thousands of users, with perhaps hundreds who could assist you, rather than the tiny community here.
Quote:
... i didn't realize that anyone had a issue with helping someone with less knowledge... I really thought this forum was better than this elitist attitude i got...
None of us mind helping others; that's why we're here. Unfortunately, you are misinterpreting confusion over your problem description, our attempts to uncover more about the problem, and our suggestions for additional problem source identification, in order to assist you, as "elitist attitude." You misunderstand, and your expectations of our abilities are also unrealistic.

A post by Nick Holland on misc@ just a couple of hours ago, to another user who also had unmet expectations, is apropos. Nick said to him:
Quote:
Don't waste people's time. As the asker of the question, expect to spend AT LEAST as much time (and more likely, many times as much time) investigating and describing your problem as you expect others to spend helping you for free.

Last edited by jggimi; 9th July 2009 at 12:39 PM.