View Single Post
Old 13th July 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Can you please capture a dmesg? This can be from the installation media if you have not successfully installed, as you have stated both that you have, and that you have not.
Thank you for not losing your patience with me, an ultra-slow learner. And I hope you will have lots of patience to teach me in the future.

Back to your statements "as you have stated both that you have, and that you have not"

I'm sorry I didn't provide a detailed timeline of what I did with OpenBSD installation.

Just only today I installed and reinstalled OpenBSD at least 3 times. The very first time I installed OpenBSD was successful. I just don't know how and why OpenBSD was able to detect my NIC.

However on the second and third reinstallation attempts, OpenBSD was unable to detect my NIC.

What I did next was to ATA secure erase my SSD and installed Ubuntu. Well Ubuntu was able to detect my NIC, auto-configured DHCP and completed the installation successfully. I deduced the problem was not with my router or NIC.

I issued an ATA secure erase command to my SSD to erase the installed Ubuntu OS.

I tried to reinstall OpenBSD and again the OS was unable to detect my NIC and auto-configure DHCP for me (IPv4).

Quote:
The foreign FAT filesystem will likely be sd1i.
Sorry, what is this "foreign FAT filesystem"? the USB flash drive?

Quote:
# mount /dev/sd1i /mnt
# dmesg > /mnt/my.dmesg
# umount /mnt
Are these instructions to dump my dmesg to the USB flash drive?

Can your instructions be carried out whilst the installation process is taking place?