View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
I'm not knocking OpenBSD, I use it, but Theo isn't the uber smart, be all, end all of operating systems and security it seems some of you praise him for.
That's obviously something of a strawman. It is what it is, but it's a pretty funny coincidence that Theo just happened to take on studying bad pseudo random numbers and seeding and seeing how much could be replaced with arc4random in ports a couple weeks ago (see the tech list archives). Plus they really aren't vulnerable to this one. They also really weren't vulnerable to shellshock.

OpenBSD may not have everything anyone might possibly need or do things always exactly the way every user might wish, but I'm sure wishing I had more time (and skill) to try to figure out how to convert old xaa to newer exa in the old nv driver (or better yet port nouveau over) so I could stop using Slackware on this stupid laptop and get back to OpenBSD. Slackware's nice as linux distros go, but I'm sitting here watching these security vulnerabilities hit the news and finding I'm vulnerable to each one while the system I'd prefer to use isn't.

p.s. on pf not being smp friendly you might also have read or heard that the non-smp OpenBSD pf is faster than FreeBSD smp derivation. SMP isn't the answer to all performance problems.