View Single Post
Old 24th February 2021
Fdisk Soldier

A week ago, after the 6.9 beta snapshot got available I upgraded via
Code:
sysupgrade -s
I can confirm two things:
1. I noticed that sysupgrade runs fw_update before reboot, but fw_update after reboot had two new recent firmwares installed. So it's definitely useful running it after reboot.
2. pkg_add -u did not update all packages for me. It took some hours to complete, but e.g. the Firefox package wasn't updated (the old version was still working fine). It was the same with otter-browser. I suspect there might be sometimes glitches with dependencies (e.g. it did not update qtconnectivity first). After pkg_check there were some dependency issues fixed. Updated those packages one by one.

Thinking about the process I'd try next time after sysupgrade finished and there was a reboot (btw it might be an idea to check the free space on /home first, but it's no problem to resume the downloads):
Code:
$ su -
# fw_update
# pkg_add -vvvvviUum
# pkg_delete -a
# pkg_check -vvvvv
# sysmerge
The -m for pkg_add is just about showing the progress meter. Checking the output is necessary as there are often recommendations which files/folders are obsolete and can be removed (obviously reading the official upgrade manual is important too).

I've got the impression - might be wrong though - that it might be a good idea to get a list of the manually installed packages (before running the final sysmerge) with

Code:
pkg_info -m
and running running pkg_add -u or pkg_add -uU (for packages with dependencies) one by one on these packages, in order to make sure that all the available updates get installed. pkg-delete -a and pkg_check again might be useful. At leas this is what worked for me nicely.

There is a useful tool called sysclean (in sysutils/sysclean), which lists obsolete files between OpenBSD upgrades.

Last edited by bradley; 24th February 2021 at 03:58 PM.