Thread: LPD printing
View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Ah, I see, thank you.

One oddity I found was that though CUPS said it was using the 2170W filter, I didn't find such a ppd. I found others in the foomatic directory. In the end, I wound up using a variation on Warren Block's version of using lpd
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/...dprinting.html. However, as my printer can use postscript, rather than his script to use ghostscript to translate ps to pcl, I used the Handbook's version of a filter script, which just calls enscript to turn a file into ps. (As I can't find a 2170W ppd, I thought that Oko's script wouldn't work for me. Mine's a networked printer, so there are other slight differences, more or less taken from Warren Block's page. It's working for me, at any rate.

Annoying though--printing from FreeBSD was trivial for awhile there--I see a post of mine on their forums from November, mentioning how it almost worked out of the box. I'm thinking that was with a 9.x install, or at least, an older version of foomatic and/or cups. Anyway, thank you Oko, I was just going to write it off and your post made me decide to go and check out using lpd, despite my inherent laziness.