View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2022
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Disclaimer: you are asking me about a post I wrote more than seven years ago. In the top post, there is link to an image of a disklabel partition map. From that image, I can see that partition "i" is /usr/src. I can also see that it begins at sector 11216992 and is 2222816 sectors in length. With a little arithmetic, I can determine that the partition's last sector number is 13439807, and I can confirm there are no unused sectors which follow partition "i" as partition "j" begins at sector 13439808.There was no step 8. The last step number was 7.

The original /usr/local partition was "h". The new /usr/local partition will be "l". Step 3 creates the new partition, Step 4 mounts the new partition as /mnt (temporarily), Step 5 copies the data from the old to the new partition, and Step 6 replaces it in the list of partitions to mount during boot.
Sorry jggimi, my typo. After Step 5 I meant.
Step 6: was not clear enough if the mount point in fstab was /usr/local or /mnt as long as the /usr/local (old h was erased (or is going to be erased in Step 6. For me /usr/local has no data (newly created 'i:' partition) and old /usr/local data is still mounted on /mnt. Sure I am missing something.
Thanks!