#2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2022
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrollld View Post
hello,

here one time more Im requesting a bit for online help

here are the things :

a. I have the following 8440p ultra-heat-laptop whom obsd installed, but doesnt works with screen/xorg : with the following link, is it possible to enable X on it?
https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=25d5a77b59
I already did a fw_update + isotop attempt, but X start failed (no screen found)
how could I solve it?
ty
Your NVIDIA graphics card is an NVS 3100M. This is listed among the cards supported by the nv(4) driver in its descriptive output in your xorg log but it appears that there is an issue with automatic configuration of the display:
Code:
[    29.363] (EE) NV(0): No valid initial configuration found
[    29.364] (II) UnloadModule: "nv" 
[    29.364] (II) UnloadSubModule: "int10" 
[    29.364] (II) Unloading int10 
[    29.364] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
It isn't clear to me how to resolve this, other than possibly forcing the use of the generic VESA driver -- which isn't very useful as it has no 2D or 3D acceleration.

Quote:
b. does broadcom wifi chipset (such as Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)) could in the future being supported, or just not planned of being?
Generally, to support a new piece of hardware, a developer needs:
  1. interest in the hardware
  2. one or more samples of the hardware.
If you have an extra NIC available to ship to a developer, you could certainly ask on the Project's misc@ mailing list if there is an interested developer.

Quote:
c. is it possible to start openbsd in "failsafe mode" with the / and /usr slices "writable"? In case I do a mistake in /etc conf files, whom I could repair it?
Yes. You start by booting into single-user mode (single-user boot varies by architecture, see the boot(8) man page) then use # mount -a to mount all normally mounted filesystems. See mount(8) for more information about `-a`.

Quote:
d. I learned about using the pkg_info -Q searched-package ; Id like to know if it's possible to know two key things (for me, those are important information) : 1. the number of "dependencies required" (eg for firefox, obviously it's not only one package downloaded) 2. the total size amount (eg in MB) taken by all going to be installed packages? for example, "vlc package and deps are going to take 150MB"?
The `-s` option of pkg_add(1) is what you may be looking for.