DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Package Pilot

Default OpenBSD slow internet?

Is there a way I can tweak the speed I get on OpenBSD? On any other OS my 50Mbps connection works fine and smoothly, but on OpenBSD sometimes it takes over a whole minute to load google.com. Is there a security measure that makes the internet slower on OpenBSD?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Your other operating system probably is pulling pages which are already cashed. You could definitely do that on OpenBSD. You can run cashing only DNS server on your network or something like Squid proxy which will cash pages for you.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Banned

OpenBSD 4.9 will have send/receive buffer scaling, this was added shorted after 4.8 was tagged.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...cket.c#rev1.84

For fast connections it might have some impact, using a snapshot may improve performance.. an alternate solution might be to bump net.inet.tcp.{recv,send}space from their default values of 16K to something like 65535 bytes or larger, this setting will obviously apply to all applications and arguably waste some memory.. then again, most computers have ample.

If you're using OpenBSD exclusively as a router/packet filter, none of what I said above is relevant to your interests.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Your other operating system probably is pulling pages which are already cashed. You could definitely do that on OpenBSD. You can run cashing only DNS server on your network or something like Squid proxy which will cash pages for you.
Well I always run my Firefox in Private mode and set it to remember nothing. If it is not my browser but my OS caching pages then I'm glad that OpenBSD doesn't. But to test this morning I installed OSX on an external hard drive and booted up with it, and it loads pages very fast like my internet should so I don't know if it's caching since it is a fresh install. I do not run my own DNS servers since I only have 1 computer so I dunno what it is. I also do not want to cache my pages (hence running Firefox in Private mode and remember nothing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
OpenBSD 4.9 will have send/receive buffer scaling, this was added shorted after 4.8 was tagged.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...cket.c#rev1.84

For fast connections it might have some impact, using a snapshot may improve performance.. an alternate solution might be to bump net.inet.tcp.{recv,send}space from their default values of 16K to something like 65535 bytes or larger, this setting will obviously apply to all applications and arguably waste some memory.. then again, most computers have ample.

If you're using OpenBSD exclusively as a router/packet filter, none of what I said above is relevant to your interests.
Do you know how much speed will it be limited to? I do not understand the terminology on that page
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
Do you know how much speed will it be limited to? I do not understand the terminology on that page
That is difficult to answer without an understanding of TCP/IP networking, in this case upgrading to a snapshot you don't have to fiddle with any knobs, the aforementioned changes require no user intervention.

None of this will probably be relevant.. the send/receive windows probably shouldn't effect simple page loading, mostly larger downloads.

The problem can sometimes be related to OpenBSD's libc domain resolver, it's non-recursive and blocking, Firefox has a thread that does domain resolution and sometimes it can block while doing lookups and this can be frustrating to users of Linux or Windows, which often use asynchronous resolvers.

Some "local" issues that could help are disabling IPv6 lookups, in about:config you can toggle network.dns.disableIPv6.. and/or add family inet4 to /etc/resolv.conf, there is even a setting for bumping Firefox's internal domain cache.

The preferred solution is to have a local caching DNS server on your network, preferably on your local system.. many systems include their own to improve local lookups and to get immediate DNS errors on resolution failures.

Really, there could be many reasons for perceived slowdowns.. and without doing some investigations of your own, nobody here can give you an absolute fix.