DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2022
Banned

Default ExpressVPN, Lastpass and a secure browser

Hi all,

I'm an OpenBSD noob who last played with command lines in the mid 1990s when I was a spotty teenager modifying Doom II maps. I've just managed after a lot of effort to get OpenBSD 7.2 installed on a 10 year old HP Probook 6470B and am keen to use it to go about updating the passwords on all my online accounts knowing I'm protected by the most secure OS available..

Notwithstanding OpenBSD's stout in built security I think I need to secure my internet connection. I use a dual router configured in a LAN-WAN configuration to bolster security (inner router connected to internet facing outer router per this great guide by Michael Horowitz here

[1 - VPN Client]

I'm currently subscribed to ExpressVPN which I've found pretty solid over the last 4 years, so I figure I might as well continue using this, unless someone else has a better suggestion?. If I do continue with ExpressVPN, how do I get this setup on a fresh OpenBSD install? I've read about it briefly in the officlal guide here but I've heard bad things about the security of IKEV2 or L2TP, and it says nothing about OpenVPN which AFAIK would be the only option for me in sticking with ExpressVPN. Above all, remember I'm new to this OS and doing anything in the command line is slow and error prone, so ideally I just download an ExpressVPN port and just get it working out of the box... Is there a port? I certainly couldn't find one on the ports pages linked below..

[2 - Password Manager]

I've found a port of the Lastpass password manager on the ports page here but with the last update being April 2019 I'm wondering about (1) whether it will still work (2) the security even if it does work? Does anyone else here use Lastpass client on their OpenBSD system? Any tips?

Lastly, I understand there's Firefox available for OpenBSD. Once I figure out how to install it will it just be a matter of doing the usual lockdown options such as disabling media.peerconnect etc. (disable WebRTC) and disabling trackers etc. via the standard GUI menu options within Firefox (as I'm familiar with?)

Thanks in advance for any tips.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2022
More noise than signal

If you want to use ExpressVPN with OpenBSD, you'll have to select one of the available client technologies that will interoperate with that company's servers.

The lastpass-cli utility is described as "an open-source command-line interface to the popular LastPass password management service." The most recent release of that tool is 1.3.3, which was released on April 15, 2019. It is copyright 2014-2019, by LastPass. (Source https://github.com/lastpass/lastpass-cli)

Firefox is available from packages, either as "firefox" or "firefox-esr" (for the extended support release) and with a wide variety of available language packs, also. Please read the OpenBSD "package README" file at /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/firefox, as the application has been additionally secured with OpenBSD-specific pledge(2) and unveil(2) services to limit its behavior and access. These changes have operational impact -- such as directory access -- that you will need to be aware of.

Last edited by jggimi; 20th November 2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2023
New User

For VPN, you can use Wireguard or OpenVPN configs (OVPN) in OpenBSD, not problem with this options.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2023
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

If you have installed and configured VPN on other systems your expertise level is above beginner.
However with a fresh install of OpenBSD it pays to read your "mail" which is installed along with the distro. It does have some helpful tips.
In addition, take a look at adding packages using "Pkg_add" as root. You can use the man pages for info on this command.
Also, you will need to be able to use root commands on the system. People here can help you choose and configure the best way to accomplish that, as there are diff configurations.

Last edited by frcc; 4th June 2023 at 01:04 PM. Reason: clarify