DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th October 2022
Port Guard

Default NetBSD: installing to a specific existing partition

I've been testing some of the BSDs in qemu and then on real hardware. I have certain specific requirements including these next two.

One: the BSD must be installed to an existing partition, without disturbing any of the other partitions.

Two: the BSD must not touch the existing boot loader.

So far, OpenBSD can be made to do this. Yay!

NetBSD is another matter. After consulting documentation, and after many tries, I am beginning to suspect that NetBSD can only be installed by letting it trash everything else on the disk and then putting in its own boot-loader. I did, at one point, find an older page describing how to do it, but it did not correspond to the current installer.

Can NetBSD correctly be installed to a specified partition without touching the rest of the SSD/HD? If so, how?

p.s. Yes I set the partition to a9 ahead of time.