DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2019
Spam Deminer

Default unble to input with Ibus and SCIM

I am new to FreeBSD and am in the process of getting accustomed to it. I have tried both Ibus and SCIM with FreeBSD 12, but neither will input Chinese. I can add input methods, but cannot use them.

Ibus' directions say:
Code:
add
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
to ~/bshrc
I have an .shrc and .cshrc. I tried adding those entries to one, then the other, and even created a .bshrc.

SCIM's directions say:
Code:
Remember to set environment variable XMODIFIERS:
  csh/tcsh: setenv XMODIFIERS @im=SCIM
  sh/bash:  export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
and set LANG, LC_CTYPE to one of the following values:
  Traditional Chinese:
    zh_TW.UTF-8, zh_TW.Big5
    zh_HK.UTF-8, zh_HK.Big5-HKSCS
So my thought is the locale settings must be modified. I might be interpretting it incorrectly, but the Handbook directions for setting locales in ~/.login_conf and /etc/rc.conf appear to be for setting the user's language, not adding a language. I cannot even find the file with locale settings file to look at it. The setlocale man page says it is in /usr/share/locale, but I do not see it.

It is a small problem based on my inexperience with FreeBSD. I have figured out most of the system, but configuring input methods is a bit challenging.

P.S.
I can search the FreeBSD forum, but not register to post any questions. I have tried to register with three browsers, but none of them display the captcha. So this is my only forum resource.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2019
Spam Deminer

I found the solution in this documentation concerning fctix; http://www.scottro.net/jpninpt.html#FreeBSD.
Set dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf. Works perfectly with no need to add anything to .shrc.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

I have been ill so haven't seen this till now. Glad it worked I would recommend switching to fcitx these days though, as the page says somewhere. Even OpenBSD now has it.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

I am going to add I really have gotten annoyed with ibus on both Linux and FreeBSD. I am glad it was just dbus for you, but I have had things like having to now run a script when switching between English and Japanese. Not sure if the details are on that page, every so often, especially when my olderversion said use iBus and the later use is fcitx, I tend to remove old stuff.

Again, I'm glad my little page helped.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2019
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
I would recommend switching to fcitx these days though, as the page says somewhere. Even OpenBSD now has it.
I probably shall try it at some point. Right now I am happy with something that works well enough for my needs. When trying a new system I must experiment. For example, Ibus is useless for me with OpenBSD, because it has poor Chinese support. With OpenBSD I was using UIM, because it fulfilled my needs. I might try fcitx just to see it. Then again, I might not stick with FreeBSD (I have a couple issues), in which case I would try fcitx with the new system.
Quote:
I am going to add I really have gotten annoyed with ibus on both Linux and FreeBSD. I am glad it was just dbus for you, but I have had things like having to now run a script when switching between English and Japanese.
Interesting. Switching input methods is not a problem for me with Ibus on FreeBSD 12. Like OpenBSD has better support for Japanese than Chinese, perhaps your problem is due to FreeBSD having better Chinese support than Japanese, even though the ports list shows many Japanese related packages. I have discovered applications are not exactly same in the ports of different systems.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

That makes perfect sense to me. When it's working for a person, there's no reason to switch, I only began investigating alternatives when I started having issues with ibus. But for me it was in every Linux and BSD I use.

Ironically, though it now makes Japanese easier for me on Linux and the BSD's the c in fcitx is for Chinese. I was lucky sklled people adapted it for Japanese.