DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st September 2022
Administrator

Default MX Linux 21.2: Middleweight Debian-based distro is well worth a look

A review of MX Linux 21.2 at The Register : https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/31/mx_linux_212/

Quote:
So I must admit that I never tried MX Linux until very recently, partly prompted by several reader requests. Well, I'm here to say that I was wrong. I tried MX soon after version 21.1 came out, was impressed, and have been waiting for a new version to appear in order to give it its own article. MX Linux is now a firm favorite at Vulture Towers Central Europe, and is in the process of replacing Devuan as our preferred systemd-free distro.
The conclusion:
Quote:
If you have, or you want to gain, a little experience, MX Linux is our new recommended distro. This is how a less-mainstream Linux distro should be: clean, fairly lightweight and compact, and fast, but with lots of pleasant useful little customizations and tweaks, and the tools to make more of your own. By modern standards, it's pretty much free of bloat – the jury is out on Flatpak – and systemd is banished to a distant corner. It fully merits the number-one spot on the Distrowatch charts
The home page: MXlinux.org

Last edited by J65nko; 1st September 2022 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added home page of MX Linux
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2022
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

MX is very nice — Debian stable base with a large selection of custom administrative utilities and backported packages, up to and including a full Mesa stack. Impressive stuff.

The devs are awesome too. Their head packager (Steve Pusser) taught me lots and is also active over at forums.debian.net.

EDIT: shout out for antiX as well, the lighter, meaner cousin of MX.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2022
Open Source Software user

Yeah, I was using antiX (base) after #! (Crunchbang) ceased, but they started adding too many things to the menus, so I switched to Devuan, & Devuan based Crowz.

I still recommend MX Linux to newbies - even though I don't personally use it, it's just an easy start, & has its own forum, loads of videos, & great people willing to always help.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd December 2022
VPN Cryptographer

MX is a wonderflul Debian derivative.